• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy base into a mobile...

kamikaze701st

Apr 21, 2009
i have a two pll (sc2879) fat boy base amplifier hooked up to my base. i want some pretty good power for my mobile, so i was wondering can i put some cables in the amp and run battery power into the amp and just bypass the built in power supply and get the same performance assuming im driving it with the same wattage out of the radio?

Try it and see is a good answer. My answer goes like this... That base amp is worth a whole lot more than the same amp in a mobile configuration (without power supply). Do the math and see if it makes sense to do what you are talking about.

The correct answer is yes, where the output transformers receive power is where you would break into the circuit and then you can power it off a battery.

I'm not really sure on this part but someone who knows can correct me, you will need to completely sever the power input circuit and not feed 12 volts back into the power supply transformer or it will make ac line voltage at the cords end.

...you will need to completely sever the power input circuit and not feed 12 volts back into the power supply transformer or it will make ac line voltage at the cords end.

Only if the 12 volts is 12 volts AC, 60 Hz. DC from a big battery fed into a transformer will most likely just burn the transformer up.

For all that trouble just buy another 2 pill for the mobile. Can't be much over 200 bucks new.

ok, let me ask the question a different way...is there a way to take my fat boy base amplifier and make it so i could unplug it from the wall, take it out to my truck and plug it into a quick disconnect (large) and modulate in the truck, then at the end of the evening take it back out of the truck and plug it in the wall and use it on the base? if so, how do i go about doing it?

and besides, money is tight so im looking for a way to get power out of my mobile without spending any. i just figured i already owned a big amp, why not try and put it in the mobile too? if i had the money to by another mobile amp, i would just probably spend the money for a 6 or 8 pll like an xforce x800hdm (800w dead key, 1500w pep)...thats where i ultimately want to be at.

ok, so if i will burn up the transformer if i do it that way, can i put a heavy duty switch in line to switch from the power supply to the 12v input source?

Run some 8 gauge wire from the battery to wherever you want to put the amp and put an anderson power pole connector (or whatever makes you happy) on it. Buy a power inverter big enough to handle that amp and cut the cigarette lighter adapter off it it so you can match the connector to the 8 gauge. The only problem will be that a power inverter big enough to supply the juice you need isn't going to be cheap.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.