• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Favorite tech for repairing board trace?

The manual shows it going through the board. Luckily, I think in this case, if the via tube is gone, that it wound't matter as that via didn't feed anything else on the other side. I think it will clean up nice. Maybe I can get some blue UV mask in time, currently have red and green only. Those bare copper traces need to be covered up, would be nice if it matched. (edit: blue mask arriving on the 5th)
View attachment 66893
I guess if in the mood I'd probably go as far as masking but I usually just take jumper wire, bend it to the trace shape and weld it all down then call it good. As far as a via, a simple thin clipped off resistor leed ran through the via the flowed both sides works well too.

A gem of a radio like that deserves a nice repair like you mention.

There is a mystery regarding the usual mod on this radio. Maybe someone here can clear it up for me.

Where the "1k resistor" goes is where the schematic shows jumper L503.
riddle me this.png
Out of the box, there is nothing there, so the 10k resistor provides a 5v high logic signal to the processor. Adding the 1k resistor drops the voltage at that point to 0.45v for logic level low. Am I to believe the radio knows the difference between 0v and 0.45v? I have difficulty believing they would implement an ADC or windowing to detect that difference when they so conveniently make it "through-hole friendly" for the average CB'er. Has anyone used a plain jumper like the schematic shows? Who came up with this 1k mod, President??? Thats like setting a menu password and making the password 1234, the expensive way.

And that brings me to the following concern.
blob.png
Unless the solder mask on the ground fill by that via is still completely intact, it sure looks like the solder blob could already be jumpering it to ground. The first thing I'm gonna do is Ω that out. If my meter goes beep, it should already be unlocked. I assume, that since it is not unlocked, that the mask is either doing its job and keeping the blob off the ground fill or something bad has already happened to the logic input. Lets hope the mask is still there under that solder!

I finally got some free time between the busy holidays and the 20+ inches of white shit to get shipped out last week and Brandon received the radio Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday evening he sent me a message saying it was done and it would go out Wednesday. Got it back today and he did an outstanding job cleaning the board up and fixing the botched conversion. If anyone needs any work done, Brandon is an honest, trustworthy, stand up guy. The world honestly needs more people like him in it. Thanks again Brandon, I really appreciate it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.