• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Seeks to Change Amateur Radio Licensing Rules, Allow Additional Emission Types

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
On October 2, the FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in WT Docket No. 12-121 that seeks to change the Amateur Radio licensing rules, especially as they concern former licensees. Acting upon an April 2011 Petition for Rulemaking filed by the Anchorage VEC to give permanent credit to radio amateurs for examination elements they have successfully passed, the FCC proposes to revise...

More...

the FCC currently will NOT issue an ADVANCED license,.............

whats gonna happen when someone demands their expired ADVANCED license be reissued:blink:.

What will happen?
If it's within the grace period, probably issue the license.
If it's not in the grace period, refuse to issue the license.
I don't remember, were Advanced licenses grandfathered to Extra/General? I don't think so, but been too long. I'm not going to dig through it all to find out. I'd say an Advanced better not forget to renew...
- 'Doc

... were Advanced licenses grandfathered to Extra/General? I don't think so, I'd say an Advanced better not forget to renew...
- 'Doc

correct, they were NOT grandfathered, as it stands right now, once the grace period is over, the ADVANCED license is gone forever.

my point is that the NPRM specifically addresses the (old) expired TECH license, it even stated that there wern't enough TECH licensees left to worry about, but,............ the ADVANCED license wasn't even mentioned

I don't see where there's much to do about it. Since there is no such thing as an Advanced license anymore, once all the Advanced license holders disappear there's no point in continuing it. Just don't forget to renew.
- 'Doc

Why are they taking away the Advanced license?
they are not,.... the written TEST element for ADVANCED is not given any more, so there are no NEW ADVANCED licenses being issued, however, anyone that currently holds an advanced license can RENEW it, provided it is current or within the grace period.

they are not,.... the written TEST element for ADVANCED is not given any more, so there are no NEW ADVANCED licenses being issued, however, anyone that currently holds an advanced license can RENEW it, provided it is current or within the grace period.

What kind of double talk is that?

If they will not give the test to get the advanced licensed.....that is not allowing hams to have the advanced license.:confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.