• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Feed your Beam

GunSlinger338

Feb 26, 2006
Around Tha Dome
Looking for different ways to feed a Maco Beam
Never liked the gama matches that come with these beams...
Anyone tried different techniques ?????
GOT PICS !!! ???

I have heard about direct feed. ??? cant find any info

Other than mechanically, there really isn't that much difference between any of the 'feeding' methods, they all have losses (not much, but some).
Direct feeding is certainly possible. The 'catch' being that the input impedance of the driven element of a beam will be less than 50 ohms. Using a balun at the feed point would be a good idea (make sure you 'turn' it in the right direction though :)).
- 'Doc

You might be able to find some combination of spacing and element lengths that will allow you to direct feed and then again, maybe not.

The Maco's use of tappered elements may prove to be a variable problem that is hard to solve with your idea. You will probably find that trying to affect reactance is unpredictably and sigificantly complicated by changes in the tubing size when adjusting for length. You may not be able to simply make adjustments to the ends of the elements and affect the match and resonance as you expect. If you have the time and patience though, then go for it. It would be interesting to hear about your results.

BTW, what do you find to be the problem with the gamma match idea and what device(s) will you be using to make your adjustments?

i wonder if you would also have to isolate at least the driven element in a direct feed SYS.

Just thinking out loud.

The Gamma Matches that come with these beams just seem cheap. IMO

"devices to make adjustments"..............
I guess that would be a good set of tubing cutters??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?