• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FG Best (Justin) Cobra 25 questions

J

JustinDePolis2

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Someone was talking about exports at a key down and how they are never seen/used in that comp. environment. Why do you think this is? Also How come the Cobra 25 sounds so good on am? What are these exports lacking that this little radio has<hr></blockquote>

The thing that the exports lack, is the type of modulation circuit that the Cobra 25 / 29 uses. The transformer and the circuitry works differently. This causes strong positive peaks, useful in key-downs. The negative peaks (in the Cb world when they are over modulated) are times when the RF power reaches zero for an infinite amount of time. This can be bad. As far as harmonics, well, this is the least of the problems and where a lot of people would like to point the finger, my advice is to use a spectrum analyzer.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Also In your 50 watt mod, is it adjustable so I can run wide open at 50 watts and then turn it down to like 4 watts swinging 15-20 for an amp that has a built in driver? is that possible?<hr></blockquote>

Our 50 watt modification means 45-50 watts peak to peak, which is how AM is read, wattage-wise. The peak with our variable always stays the same, while you can vary the carrier from 1 1/2 watts to 8 watts.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> got one off of ebay for $30 with shipping and when I got it it produced 1 watt carrier and modulated to 4 watts peak. I noticed a horrendous feedback problem and that was solved by removing the resistor combo that was used for feedback. then i started turning the slug next to the final and spreading coils and it produced a 5 watt carrier swinging to 23 watts peak. then I removed one leg of d19 and placed a 2000 ohm resistor on it. people said I sounded better but I definitely didn't hear any raspiness when I heard it on another radio. <hr></blockquote>

i cannot comment on what the other place did to this radio, they sound like they might have been confused?

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>. I think it sounds very smooth and powerful. not crunchy at all. then I flipped the radio over and a isaw a small ceramic capacitor ripped off the board on one leg near one corner. i just figured it would connect to a jagged solder spot i saw and I resoldered it and it works no different. <hr></blockquote>

Not to sound rude, but there's no other way to put it... a small ceramic cap in the corner doesn't tell me much at all.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>. it also has to resistors wired in series next to the capacitor on the board, dont know what they are for, def. not factory, any idea? <hr></blockquote>

See above.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Is it worth doing a 1969 swap? what could I gain if i fully tricked this radio out, also can you get new front chrome trim rings and face plates?<hr></blockquote>

The 1969 swap is a good idea, but I have yet to see ANY shop do it correctly. When you do this the driver needs changes, and the circuit needs changed around the 1969. We can get face plates, but I need to know what version of the 25 that it is. (classic, NW, NWST?)

I hope that this answers all of the questions that you had, if there are any more, please feel free to ask, just give me a day or so to reply. Just because I'm logged in doesn't mean that I'm typing. I like to read what other people contribute on here too.

Take care,

Justin

Click Here To Go To FG Best Communications

lookearth452034.gif

A word to the wise is not necessary; it’s the stupid ones that need the advice. - Anonymous</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=happyhamer>Happy Hamer</A> at: 2/8/05 4:24 pm

linearone:

I think it's important to keep expectations in order when talking about receiver mods to help quiet down RFI picked up by the antenna. Some receivers are just more sensitive to all the noise and there's only so much that can be done about it.

</p>

I haven't heard anyone pipe up who has actually had this mod done so I'll throw in my .02 on it.

Obviously its gonna be a little much for a low drive amp...

I use that as my main mobile with a wilson 1000 and people cant believe its barefoot...

Locked right on freq for rx and tx, gives every bit of power stated.

that with a basic powermic was all I need for my short trips, but it sure does the job,

The rx is a lot quieter than it was before and all in all is a heckuva radio.

A little expensive for a radio with such basic functions but its worth it for the WOW factor with the locals...

if you want the splatterbox that hits all the channels for keydowns...not worth it...

but is a nice solid 40ch

bcrewcaptainsig1.jpg
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.