• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fiberglass protection

Cheech

Apr 6, 2005
Medina county Ohio
Ok one of theese days I am going to get a new antron and I was thinking of puting a clear coat on it or something to stop the fiberglass from sheding. Has anyone ever done this before? Is there anything that works good for this? Thanks!

Use a couple of coats of spar varnish.If it's good enough for a marine environment it should last for many years on your antenna.I put a couple coats on some fibreglass rods a few years ago and it looks the same now as it did then.

how would this hold up to flexing after it dried though?I know the imax looks like a rodeo whip when the wind is blowing....I would think something more like a spray latex or something like that..?

You have a good point about the flexing.Spar varnish is available at most any home DIY shop.Home Depot should have it near the regular varnishes and varathanes.It does impart a slight golden honey color but not too much.I applied it with a rag and just wiped it on rather than blob it on with a brush.The next thing would be clear laquer spray.I have used that as well and it has stoot up well on a mobile antenna.The good thing about that is it goes on in real thin layers because it is sprayed on.The laquer gives it a good hard finish.

Hello Cheech:

I have repaired very old commercial fiberglass antennas that where on a mountain top for years and years. There where replaced by their owners thinking that they would fall apart real soon.

I wore rubber gloves, and lightly ran scottbright all over the surface. Then I applied a little fiberglass epoxy with a rag and let get tackey.

Then I wrapped (2 inch wide) Gas Pipe Black Tape all over the antenna. Then painting it gloss white, and then a coat of Clear enamal spray.

The Black Gas Pipe Tape keeps the sun from destroying the fiberglass, and is invisable to the RF Energy.

I still have the old antenna up and it looks brand new.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Mojave

http://www.a1antennas.com

ok think I came uo with an idea. I was thinking of puting a coat or two of white paint on the antenna and then a couple of coats of spray laquer? Would this work? Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.