• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flag Poles

loboman

Oct 26, 2009
Reno, NV
I'd be interested in knowing the pro's/con's about using a flag pole as a mount for an antenna.
I'm looking at a 20' aluminum pole that will sustain 60+ mph - with a flag attached. It would be sunk into the ground 2' and cemented.
Thank you for the input...

Mike

Shouldn't be any problem. Course the bottom of your antenna will only be 18' off the ground but if that's the best you can do at your location....then it's better than nothing.

Good luck

Flagpole ant:

Needs a good radial system to work. Slit grass with some type of spade and tuck in radials to avoid detection.

Needs an insulated feed to avoid ugly feed gizmo.

Also needs a tuning network right at the base. It could be buried if it had to.

Flagpole ant:

Needs a good radial system to work. Slit grass with some type of spade and tuck in radials to avoid detection.

Needs an insulated feed to avoid ugly feed gizmo.

Also needs a tuning network right at the base. It could be buried if it had to.

I believe he was talking about using the flag pole AS A MOUNT for the antenna and not AS the antenna. the only problem I see is getting the antenna up there.It's pretty hard to climb a flag pole and using a ladder on such a narrow support presents it's own set of problems. :eek:If the flag pole tilts over then all the above is moot.

I believe he was talking about using the flag pole AS A MOUNT for the antenna and not AS the antenna. the only problem I see is getting the antenna up there.It's pretty hard to climb a flag pole and using a ladder on such a narrow support presents it's own set of problems. :eek:If the flag pole tilts over then all the above is moot.

Oh. Maybe it's time for me to take a reading comprehension course.:laugh:

LOL, If I was going to do something like that The flagpole would be the antenna, and the neighbors would never know the difference. I've considered doing just that.
mike

I'd be interested in knowing the pro's/con's about using a flag pole as a mount for an antenna.
I'm looking at a 20' aluminum pole that will sustain 60+ mph - with a flag attached. It would be sunk into the ground 2' and cemented.
Thank you for the input...

Mike

Well, if/when you use the flag pole for an antenna mount - it won't handle 60 mph winds anymore. The extra height will create more wind resistance. Something will give. Either the mount to the top of the flag pole that supports your antenna will break because it isn't strong enough to support that wind load - or the whole flag pole will come down with the antenna it was trying to support. The flag pole is now being made to support the weight of the antenna (which in itself isn't that much); but when wind forces are present - a whole new set of physics come into play.

I mean - this all means nothing unless you see the wind come up to the speeds that would cause it damage. Now, if you put the antenna at the top of the flag pole as you want - and then use guy wires to support the flag pole from its top point it might be able to do as you think. But without that support, it might be better to just get a separate mast for the antenna and make sure it has guy wires on it. The higher any pole will get; then the support it requires in a strong wind will become necessary. AS a rule, every 20 ft in height needs to have guy wires. At 40 ft - it requires guy wires at the 20 and 40 ft points. At 60 ft, it will need them at 20, 40, and 60 ft points. And so on...

It might work OK; but you will need to decide from your end.
How are you going to attach the antenna on the tip of the flag pole?
Most antennas require no more than a 1 1/2 inch diameter pole...

What type of antenna are you thinking about mounting on top of the flag pole?

I am a new ham, and haven't quite figured that out yet. I would want something "small", so as not to cause issues with wives or neighbors. But I am also thinking that would be a good place to hang one end of a long wire ant, then coax it into my shack (inside my garage). I have a hillside back there and can run the wire 100+' out there.
I will get my General within the next few months and just acquired an FT-890 (for my listening pleasure). Thanks for all the advise. Mike

I am a new ham, and haven't quite figured that out yet. I would want something "small", so as not to cause issues with wives or neighbors. But I am also thinking that would be a good place to hang one end of a long wire ant, then coax it into my shack (inside my garage). I have a hillside back there and can run the wire 100+' out there.
I will get my General within the next few months and just acquired an FT-890 (for my listening pleasure). Thanks for all the advise. Mike

Issues with the "WIVES"

Dude, how many you got? I have enough problems with just my one!

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.