• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flat Coil Vs Rounded Coil

i see some one has a failure to communicate

when im shooting skip from the mobile

if i have the round coil and skip is weak or begining to roll in a can switch to the flat coil antennas and wham its time to get it on like donkey kong
just to be sure i switch back to the round coils and dx is weak

then the next weak the setup can be just backwards

do i need to type the process in reverse order of antennas or we get the idea

let me go ahead to be sure
i can have the flat coils on skip be weak and starting to roll switch to the round coils and wham it time to get it on like donkey kong.

been there done that many many times

be rolling down the road and barely no skip switch antennas and we be talking all over and just to be sure switch back barely no skip so i switch back and we be getting down

cant explain it any better i could draw a picture
but i dont care to give a autocad class via internet

before jumping you might try it sometime

HMMMM

Any cheap antenna coil program will suggest FLAT over round or cornered ( octical ) 3 turns space for the best numbers , if you know what it means when you're looking at it.. In the keying world go to the line with round coils and you'll be minus your stamps.Even though its electrical for roundness to be true because of circulating magnetic fields , we are talking surface running , if the question asked is for the freq I myself run on.Away from 11 meters the ball game changes same as SWR that is a useful tolerance by numbers. So i'm speaking for 10 & 11 meters . Oh by the way on 11 meters you can talk skip on a clothes hanger if you get the numbers right

OOPPSS

Doc its me MR2020 been gone a while , school and back to the bucket.How is everything with you ?
What I was saying was 1 1/2 " flat at 3 electrical turns will out do the round any day of the week ( for the freq's I run on ) As you know it all changes with meters and freq's. But my thoughts are whatever works for the person and the pocket they have.

all2built/MR2020,
Welcome back.
As for the flat/round thingy, any flat wound coil can beat a round wound one, if it's done 'right'. The opposite is also true, any round wound coil can beat a flat wound one, if it's done 'right'. The only difference is in the dimensions and how they are wound. If you like 'flat' coils, great. Same for the round ones. The biggest difference in the two is that there is no inherent benifit to either, it's just a matter of which is easiest to make and it's cost (doesn't mention anything about the over all length of the antenna part).
Really wanna sort of a 'short' coil? Make it's diameter larger. Mount it in the center line of the vehicle cuz you don't wanna stick out into the other lane...much. :)
- 'Doc

I'll just leave that where it is , to each his own . But just for info sakes . I've had less probs with mobile computer interference with the flats as well.Now in saying that I'm not talking about no 2, 4 or 8 pill , I'm talking a 3cx6k , 4cx15k , two 4cx15k's and so forth.I was out of the game but didn't get out of the knowledge.. Check this out 30 watts reflect at 20k + , maxing at 120 watts reflect .Now the kicker is I had to remove some grounds to get it down to that :shock: Looking forward to see whats been going on ..Be good

flat coil compared to round coil

iv'e been talking on 11 meters & 10 for a long time, i do my best not to put people's product's down if i dont like them , i just dont use them. i have run round coil ant's. & flat both from 5 bird watts, to 3200 bird & as far as ride around ants. the round coil has always worked better for me,when it's the same quality ant. i haven't seen a ant. built like the predator 10k round coil yet , it talks & recieves better than anything that has ever been on any of my mobiles,& its built with perfection & pride also. thank's yall hold it in the road ;)

oooooooook

Yeah the Pred's are a decent antenna as far as that goes..I use them as ride arounds on my everyday burb ( after 15k of abuse for 20 minutes or so they give in, plus the fact that if I'm riding at 65 don't need my reflect changing because the antenna are laying back ,when I'm bumping 10+k ). When I'm going to play rough with say Rev Dr. 455 , Mr Mocco, Big Thunder , 103 in the Bam guys that been in this for 25 plus years its the flats IE: 55 , 2Watt old style and my own customs..What I'm trying to say without being an arrogant butthole is ,at $10k for engine , $10k -20k for a custom amp ( that cheap due to the fact its my design and built by me ) , $4500. for alt's, a divorce No opinion or guess work comes in to play Its called blood , sweat and tearsMatter of fact they won't even let you key with flat coils any bigger than what 55 used to make , because they concider the wave to be to high for fairness. Now once again not being arrogant but just something to make you scratch your head.. In the mean time bump your station down and let it rock ! ! ! ! ! !

hey all2built,you are not being arragent or a butthole you are just speaking your mind & experiences you have had. i've been talking on 11 meters for about 27 yrs. and i feel your pain about amps,bird meters,alts., & whole lot of other sh_t-$$$$$$$$$$$, ive used alot of ants. in this time 55 small coil,two watt,capone,coily,bad boy,slingblade, just to name a few,but the 10k just works real good for me. i wont say anything bad about none of the ants. i have used in the past, because from the first time i keyed a cb mike untill now its been a whole lot of fun ,& a hell of a experience. i guess cb stands for continous buying, hey all2built,take care hope to here ya on the bowl are double tracks soon.,cbj-545 8)

"Matter of fact they won't even let you key with flat coils any bigger than what 55 used to make , because they concider the wave to be to high for fairness."

Any more info on antenna's that would be unfair? I don't do competition, so I don't mind running an antenna that isn't fair ;) All I want is the best antenna system possible for daily driving. I have bought the stuff to run 2 predator 10k's, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.. been busy goofin around.

If there is a better antenna.. I will run it... simple as that.. if I get out more with a 55.. if I have better ears.. whatever the case may be. I've even considered putting an antron 99 or imax when i'm sitting in the park talking up the street for an hour-two at a time when it gets hectic (local keydowns).

Thanks,
Josh

sure

Heck do what some of the so called big boys do that you here talking all the out of their mobile.( to me thats like running a 32 pill in the 2 pill class , if my stuff doesn't work according to the antennas on top then it ain't the same to me ) If you got a hitch put some threes or fours together with a tele pole lock it into your hitch and go for the gusto !!! As far as the antenna is concercerned just a different wave length that 1/4 , 5/8 , 1/2 and full wave it can only get better

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.