• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM?

When the Band is open, I have keyed my HR-2600 up at about ten watts , ID`ed and Had 1/2 a dozen repeaters come back at the same time.

At the 100 watt level you can cause a pile-up on FM simplex as well, don`t sell FM short on HF, it works!

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

YES for sure

I talked to some DX on FM just playing around on freq, when you hear those loud coming in and they hear you just ask if they have FM and switch over, you will see it works great. Then start working your power down and watch what happens YOU WILL BE AMAZED!

Bad news, FM is a bandwidth hog :( you wil be on said frequency talking to someone and your signal will be heard sometime 20 khz above and 20 khz below the center, that tends to aggrevate people :!:

Hi Bob,
With out using a repeater I have worked two countries over by Asia, Taiwan & Japan, but they were fairly strong signals so that did help. That was 27 megs.

I don't use FM hardly at all, it's not that efficient mode of communicating for me, but, I am only speaking of 11 meters here.
---------------------
DXman

Happy_Hamer said:
YES for sure

I talked to some DX on FM just playing around on freq, when you hear those loud coming in and they hear you just ask if they have FM and switch over, you will see it works great. Then start working your power down and watch what happens YOU WILL BE AMAZED!

Bad news, FM is a bandwidth hog :( you wil be on said frequency talking to someone and your signal will be heard sometime 20 khz above and 20 khz below the center, that tends to aggrevate people :!:
What happens when you turn the power down? I will be geting FM soon.

FM

Seriously now, where do people get the idea that there is something mysterious about FM? It is merely a MODE of transmission. If you can work a station on 28 MHZ on SSB, you can generally work 'em on FM. Like was stated, FM is a bandwidth hog. I can listen/play with the 10 Meter repeaters about 20 minutes before I get tired of the noise and heterodynes of repeaters banding into one another. Then it get on my nerves. :D

CWM

FM

CWM,
I think what causes this confusion especially among people just getting into radio is that most FM transmissions occur on VHF/UHF and this is why they get the impression that it is a short range mode. But as we have all found out VHF/UHF is really the factor limiting range and once you drop down to HF it's a whole new ball game.
Murray

watt for watt on a stock cb i would say fm is at least as good as am but not as good as ssb, theres no difference in how the signal travells like some would have you believe and your neighburs dont hear your voice on their tv's like am, fm usually just destroys the picture, i worked the whole of europe the uk and ireland yesterday on fm and ssb with my i10k mounted at 10 feet, we had the best conditions for short dx since the late 70's early 80's, fm and ssb is all we have used since 1981 so we are used to the sound of fm and am sounds strange to us here, try 27.78125 mhz next time you hear europe thats channel 19 legal fm in the uk, if dx is good you will talk to us uk ducks no problem :D

Re: FM

Old Pirate56 said:
CWM,
I think what causes this confusion especially among people just getting into radio is that most FM transmissions occur on VHF/UHF and this is why they get the impression that it is a short range mode. But as we have all found out VHF/UHF is really the factor limiting range and once you drop down to HF it's a whole new ball game.
Murray

I think that is exactly right.Most people equate FM mode with FM broadcasting and fail to understand that the FM broadcast band is a VHF band but that FM mode can be on ANY frequency.My FT-857 can run SSB on 440 MHz UHF or FM mode on 1.85 MHz.MF Mode does not matter,freq. does.

QRN

QRN,

Do you spend much time on the 10 FM repeaters? About one or two QSO's (a little dab'll do ya ;) ) is enough for me. Not only that, you start a QSO and end up losing 'em when another machine comes on. Then there's all that whistling and
beating against one other..lotsa noise. I DO like to hear the guys linking in with a 2 Meter handheld and talking all over the place. When there's just ONE machine one, it's pretty neat.
I hear the .620 one a lot("This is W1OJ 'repea-tuh' near Baa-ston"
:D) Wonder if she went to "Haa-vaad"? :p ;)

CWM

Hi Jerry. No I do not spend much time on 10m FM.Too much "bee-boop" for me. :? If I want to talk on a repeater I'll do it on the local 2m machine.FM simplex on 29.600 is pretty fun though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.