• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-817

T

tfrugia

Have any of you used/use the Yaesu FT-817?

I have read numerous articles on it and am very interested in it. I guess the main reason I am interested is because of the price. For an all-mode all-band radio, it doesn't get much better than this for price wise. But my question is:

I know it will be much more difficult to make contacts with this low-power radio - so would this be a bad choice for a new HF user? I plan on using this radio mainly for 6m and 440 - because I have two 2m radios. But eventually I want to play with the HF - which is what really interests me. Should I just save up for the 100+ watt radio, or will this suit my needs as a beginner. I understand it will be more difficult, but hopefully I'd learn more by using the low-power rig. Plus the portability of this radio is just awesome - I'd love to take it with camping, etc.

Thanks for any comments

KD7SDM

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?