• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-857D & Digital Modes

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Doctor mentioned doing digital modes with the FT-857D so I gave it a try.

I had all kinds of problems getting things set up, but eventually I figured it all out.

My Computer is a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7 and here is how I managed it get it all working.

My RT Systems programming cable and software was working fine so I figured the CAT stuff was all set. I ordered the Data to Sound card cable from West Mountain Radio it was $15 and change.

I installed Fldigi and could receive Ok but it wouldnt transmit and gave me I/O errors.

So I opened up my HRD ( Ham Radio Deluxe ) make sure the baud rate with the RT Systems CAT cable is set to 4800, I had full control of the rig via the computer so that was a good sign.
I started the DM780 program that comes with HRD and after setting the baud to 4800 in HRD everything worked perfectly, of course I am still limited to 10m until I take the general exam but it TX's just fine.
I tuned up to 14.070.00 and was able to RX quite a few people on digital.

I went back to Fldigi and set the baud up for 4800 and it started working, its still not as nice as the HRD software in my opinion.

So anyway Digital is pretty cool and I am sure I will use it alot now that I have it set up and working properly.

73's
Craig

So far just the PSK31, CW works as well with mixed results.

On 20m PSK31 is pretty lively in the evenings, I even saw some activity this morning mainly from European stations.

there is a fair amount of 10-10 international PSK activity on 28.120

and the PropNET beacons are on .119

Well I just realized that I only have 1/2 of it working, My sound card doesnt send the audio tones through the cat cable so I have to wait on the split cable I ordered to connect to the data port.

So Live & Learn ..

Cable came in yesterday, didnt need the extra CAT cable but they came as a paired set. I did a little reading on setting up the radio for PSK31 and I am having a blast. I made 10 DX contacts today alone on PSK31. It took me a little time to get use to the DM780 software but its working Great !! No Rig Blaster or anything else needed, just a computer with a sound card and the cables.

Anyway, this is awesome !!!:LOL:

Cable came in yesterday, didnt need the extra CAT cable but they came as a paired set. I did a little reading on setting up the radio for PSK31 and I am having a blast. I made 10 DX contacts today alone on PSK31. It took me a little time to get use to the DM780 software but its working Great !! No Rig Blaster or anything else needed, just a computer with a sound card and the cables.

Anyway, this is awesome !!!:LOL:

Way to go on figure it all out. The digital modes ARE a lot of fun. Don't forget that you can always RX on any frequency, even though you are TX restricted by your license. Check out SSTV on 14.230. You can just leave that running all day and see what pictures you pick up.

Thanks Mole, I'll have to check it out, not many License restrictions anymore since the General update, and I am already working on my Extra, hope to take the test the end of the month...

Craig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.