• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-897-D

I run an FT-857D, it's the same radio inside, just a different case/layout externally.

For my use as a mobile, I like it a lot. It does a ton and performs very well for being a compromise rig...more than well enough for my needs in mobile ops.

Down sides

Not the most selective receiver...strong adjacent stations are tough to deal with if you are contesting at all.

Menu system takes some time to get used to...particularly to use while in motion.

The DSP NR, though far better than nothing, is nothing spectacular, the GAP Hear-IT/BHI AF DSP blows it away.

Its also got a reputation of not being aligned particularly well from the factory...e.g. mine doesn't behave well on 6m and that's pretty common. This is easily fixed with a volt meter and some bench time, but it's annoying that most of them are shipped in need of an alignment job.

For the money and versatility, you can't go wrong. If you have specialized needs there are better radios in the various niches for sure.

If you have the cash for it, the iCom 7000 is the *king* of the small rigs IMO but it's a whole other class and should be for the money difference.

Would I buy mine again....for mobile use, yes and for base, I just might wind up with an 897 too because I'm already used to the radio and the value you get for the money is outstanding.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.