• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fuzzbuster cb

I purchased a Fuzzbuster Z-80 cb am only for my work truck unused still in box for $20.00 I wanted a cheap radio "dollars" that had a NB and ANL well this Fuzzbuster had that plus every feature a AM radio ever had. Well I hooked it up it had great receive etc. then came the audio check 5 watts dk and no forward swing absolutely terrible it was clean but so low you couldn't make out what was being said in the most optimal setting I was very disappointed it was so low it couldn't be used and yes it has a mic gain control. I tried a power mic a Cobra something "new" and it was even worse because you couldn't run it with out squealing unless it was nearly off. Well at this point I had nothing to lose so I looked up CB tricks or one of those and found very little on this radio but I did find some power and audio mods. So after turning the pots etc nothing better happened there was one recommendation to clip the audio limiter and with great hesitation I did it. While still hooked up to the watt meter I was getting a 5 watt dk and with audio peaks of 18 watts and I could run the Cobra power mic at 10-max and mic gain at max and then for the real test I went outside to again actually hear the radio with my Cobra 29LTD it was unbelievably loud and clean! It makes you wonder why the factory would do this to there product? Any way I installed the radio in my work truck and it is absolutely great and the ANL and NB could not be better it is absolutely quiet and still has great receive.

The reason the factory has the ALC in the circuit is to prevent distortion of the audio and the transmission of unwanted spurs up and down the band. Clipping the ALC out is a common practice in a lot of hack shops. Then it seems, it's all controls/knobs to the right.
You might sound good and loud on the channel you are transmitting on, but, you probably don't sound so good on the channels you are bleeding over on.
trucker

Reactions: jetdriver1955
Your probably right although I haven't heard it while on another channel. There is almost nobody with a cb around this county no bases anyway the chance of someone on a cb anywhere near me and we are both transmitting at the same time is very very slim. If it wasn't for skip all 40 channels would be clear all the time here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.