• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 250

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Hi, anyone know about this brand of amp and if it works on 11 meters? it has no ssb switch so is it made just for am or can it be used for both.

I opened it up and the inside is very clean built and real nice solder job. it has 2 455 pills I think it is what was stamped on the pills.

I powers on, preamp works great and has 3 power settings.

I dont want to key it till I know if it will work on 11.

any info would be great, I did a search on internet with no luck.

Thanks,
Roger

Attachments

• DSC_6206.JPG
    DSC_6206.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146

It should be fine on 11 meters. I think it has a built in delay after you unkey, so it ought to be fine for SSB and AM. It should be pretty much the same as the Blue-faced Palomar 250 that are out there. I think that those have a basic bias circuit in them for linearity on SSB.

I did try it and it seems to work on 11 AM/SSB. I made some local contacts who said it sounded nice and clear on both. I am seeing about 100 watts AM/SSB with 4watts dk and like 10 watts SSB.

The delay seems a little slow but all and all it is working.

My first amp ever was a Galaxy 225, I also ran a blue face Galaxy 250. For the money they are great little amps AM or SSB. They have an auto SSB delay. On AM use keep the dead key out from the amp on hi setting at 60 watts max, should be around a 2 watt carrier from the radio. On SSB they can take up to 25-30 watts peak. I ran both my amps with a Uniden Grant xl and like I said, worked great. Not big wattage amplifiers but they work well and last if you don't abuse them.

I agree with 9C1 . This is a good well made AB amplifier. You should see very close to 200 watts pep AM/SSB on this one depending on how it is driven. I too would keep the DK down to around 2 watts , although it should handle 20 to 30 watts pep from there.

20 watts SSB should be good to go. You can change the cap to fix the delay problem concerning AM. (they came from the builder like that back in the day) Go figure ? there is more then likely a 35 to 50 pf at 50 volts cap in the box , you can change it to a 10 pf at 50 volts and that will take care of your delay AM hang up and still be good for the SSB side of things.

Other then all of that , that's a good well made filtered AB box A1. You wouldn't hurt the box by driving it less ither. ;) ( If you have the time ? Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the board A1)

The amp has automatic SSB delay. Sometimes it gets to be a pain when using on AM. You can lift the electrolytic cap by the relay (1000mfd?) and insert a switch in series so you can cut it in circuit and out for AM operation if you wish.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.