• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 33 hp2 frequency issue

Oct 5, 2015
Sc
Ok so it’s been a while since I’ve been on the group guys but this radio is killing me if I take the covers off the radio the frequency is dead on as soon as the radio covers touch the frame of the radio it starts to go crazy and will not stay on frequency what in the world is the problem

We are going to need more information ! Is it stock or has it been given the golden screwdriver treatment (uh I mean peak and tuned)?
Base or mobile ? Type of antenna you are using ? New radio or old radio ? Running barefoot or with an amp ?
Galaxy radios are made by Ranger which is notorious for frequency drift problems.
The more info you can give us, the better the chance of somebody being able to help you out.........

One thing I know causes this is when a frequency mod at an oscillator involves wires that extend across where the covers go. Replacing the covers increases the capacitance to the wires and that pulls the oscillator off.

Ok so it’s been a while since I’ve been on the group guys but this radio is killing me if I take the covers off the radio the frequency is dead on as soon as the radio covers touch the frame of the radio it starts to go crazy and will not stay on frequency what in the world is the problem
The two shield tins on the solder side of the board, check those shields and everything under them and the surroundings.
I've dealt with similar issues and found wonky flow work in that area, or something shorting to those shields.

Another thing that can lead you to a fault is the foam that's on the top cover (solder side cover) and where it pushes the board when the cover is installed. I suspect there's flex and bad solder on that board somewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.