• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 959 question??

mountain man

Feb 28, 2013
I recently bought a galaxy dx 959b. It came with the irf510 finals from the factory. So far I've turned up vr16. Adjusted L40,L42,L43,L44 for max output. Following the instructions from http://www.radiomods I removed c218. C299 was missing. I cannot get this 30 watts everyone is getting. Appreciate any advice or help you can give me.

Did you adjust it in SSB/USB mode using a 1khz audio tone?
Did you use a scope when making adjustments?
Did you use a dummy load for testing?
Do you have a decent watt meter?

Dunno about the 959b . . .is that the MOSFET version designation?

Reactions: 222DBFL
No the information I found online did not specify to adjust them in ssb I adjusted them in am. None of the pots needed hardly any adjustments. I believe the only difference in the 959b is the faceplate is lighted. Thanks.

Well, it isn't done that way. It is done in either USB or LSB mode - regardless if you use AM only. Doing it in SSB mode is most beneficial for AM mode anyway, as it is pure modulation w/o any AM carrier involved. Use ch 20, and you must use a dummy load and a second radio to monitor the audio AND use a 1khz tone into the mic.

You will also need to set the Gate voltage on the driver and final transistor - first.
The driver gets ~3.5v and the final gets ~3.8v.

THEN you peak the coils in either USB or LSB. Also, you left out L40 and L42.

Honestly, if you don't have a 50 ohm dummy load and a O-scope; then I don;t know why you should bother to do it anyway. Just for a few watts that will probably be distorted because you can tune it properly because you lack the right equipment?

Send it to a good shop (not some hacker shop - either) - regardless of what some web 'expert' will tell you . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.