• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
I have the opportunity to get one of these radios for a good deal.. I'm sick and tired of dealing with these new cobra 148.. every one its right..very poor.. when it worked it worked fairly well.good clean.but very fragile..one wrong touch and the radios go hay wire. Im no pro by any means but definitely no noob. This has happened with 2 of these back 2 back and one part goes, fixed then the next part goes it's like clock work .

I know the galaxy is a glorified 148 but looking at the schematic I'm pretty impressed.looks like the things I wanted to do to the cobra come from the factory. Like bias network, power lo hi settings, talk back, freq counter and more.

My concern is.. I'm not sure if he has the mosfet version or bjt.. I think he has both and I prefer bjt. Are the mosfet finals worth a dam in these radios? Splatter? Durable? If I do get afet version has any one converted it back to 1969? I

I have one of the early MosFet versions, had it tuned by DTB Radio in Carlilse and it has performed flawlessly for several years now. Other than its just not me, I have no issues with the radio (currently sitting on a shelf).

I think you will be hard pressed to find a older final model as they have not been made for at least five years now (bought my MosFet version used/NIB in 2008) and these radios aren't all that common in the first place.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.