• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy dx 66v

Trainwreck

Aug 4, 2012
got a galaxy 66 thatis showing 13.458 for the freq on channel 19. what is needed to be done to get it back on freq so that it may be used again. had a bad solder joint i thought checked them and now its doing this ....please help

These kinds of fixes don't usually have a 'cut and paste' answer that you seek.

Does it still receive and transmit on the right freq?

Do you have the equipment needed for checking radios? Such as a freq counter and a DMM for starters? You will need to see if the radio PLL and oscillator circuits are working or not. Test the VCO voltage with a voltmeter to TP2 - which is the top bare lead of R116. But if that is OK, you will need to dig further and have the gear to do it with.

Galaxy Radios DX66V Service Manual

How did it fail; was it suddenly or were you digging inside of it?

It could also be the counter has failed. Just not enough info here, really. If you have no way to test the radio's output freq, your best bet is to send it off for repair.

Last edited:
These kinds of fixes don't usually have a 'cut and paste' answer that you seek.

Does it still receive and transmit on the right freq?

Do you have the equipment needed for checking radios? Such as a freq counter and a DMM for starters? You will need to see if the radio PLL and oscillator circuits are working or not. Test the VCO voltage with a voltmeter to TP2 - which is the top bare lead of R116. But if that is OK, you will need to dig further and have the gear to do it with.

Galaxy Radios DX66V Service Manual

How did it fail; was it suddenly or were you digging inside of it?

It could also be the counter has failed. Just not enough info here, really. If you have no way to test the radio's output freq, your best bet is to send it off for repair.

i took your advise robb and sent it to the shop. what kind of power can i get out of a 2166 driver and a 1969 mit final for this radio? just curious is all? will it do the things i have heard ( 40-50 watts ) on a single final

i took your advise robb and sent it to the shop. what kind of power can i get out of a 2166 driver and a 1969 mit final for this radio? just curious is all? will it do the things i have heard ( 40-50 watts ) on a single final

You heard wrong. Have a nice clean tune and alignment done and that radio will do 25 ish peak watts and sound great. Dual 1969 final Exports will do 35-40 honest watts. Remember there is much more to sounding good on a radio then some number on a watt meter.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll tell ya it probably isn't worth fixing unless you just want a good AM cb radio, I still have a dx-66v left over from my truck driving days and yeah it was a great radio, mine did about 23w and still does, but now I'm into sideband and of course this 66v won't do that and you might do better to just sell it for parts if you can or buy another one, I know I wouldn't pay to have mine fixed even as good of a radio it was if something went wrong with it and I haven't used it in minths.

But that's me.
73's

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.