• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 949 Power Output Issues

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
So awhile back I posted a number of problems I was having with this Galaxy Dx 949. Finally found out that indeed my driver was blown but final was still working fine. Nonetheless I decided to just replace both. Ordered up some new IRF520's and installed them last night.

Now the weird stuff. Been trying to tune in the radio. I am currently getting 20+ watts PEP on AM and only 5 watts PEP on LSB. If i throw a little something behind it I can make long distance contacts still on LSB but with my current antenna and tower ive never had to throw extra power to make contacts.

Im not really familiar with this radio but hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of where to get the AM power output turned down a bit and LSB power turned up a bit.

Current setup right now is this DX-949 into a Devil DX-100 Linear. Into a Yaesu Ys-60 meter and then from there out the building to a 50ft telescoping tipod with a Imax 2000 at the top. Tip of antenna is currently 75ft in the air. Running the absolute thickest CB cable Ive been able to find on the market but unsure of the actual name. SWRs are at a flat 1:1 currently. I really wanna get this radio tuned in to get my LSB power back for my long distance contacts. Any help is always appreciated!

And you have set the driver bias/gate voltage to ____?
And you have set the final bias/gate voltage to ____?
And you are using a quality watt meter which is a ____?
And you are using a 50/100w dummy load when testing?
And you have peaked the tx coils in SSB mode with a 1khz or two-tone osc?

Last edited:
The MOSFET version of that radio needs to have the gate voltage adjusted (for the driver) to 3.65v using vr12. The gate voltage (for the final) should be set to 3.85v using vr10. Find the gate pin for each of the IRF520 (pin on the left facing the device) and adjust the voltages for each accordingly. You do not remove the biasing board to do this. You must turn the mic gain to 0 as well.

I don't use a salt water dummy load; nor would I do that for critical adjustments. Your watt meter should be fine used in PEP mode. Of course, you peaked the transmit coils in SSB mode. Of course . . .

Do NOT use a jewelers screwdriver for the transmit coil adjustments!!!
Forbidden!
Use only a nylon or ceramic tool specified to do those coil adjustments - BTW.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.