• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX919 Problem

Mongoose

Mar 11, 2009
Warren, Michigan
I have a 919 that while driving down the road my receive progressivly got more then faded away and then I had NO receive until I keyed the mic just partially. The radio Does transmit as normal. I have tested different mics and same problem with any mic. I unplug a mic and my receive comes back, any help would be great. I received this radio on trade so if and any mods are unknown.
Test equipment- Digital volt meter, Dosy meter.

This radio is a Mosfet radio

first thing i would check is the back side of the mic plug in the radio.

it could have moved and is starting to short against something, or you have a wire or component on or near it that is coming loose.

open the radio up, and while looking at the back of the mic plug with a magnifying glass, try plugging and unplugging a mic so you can see what if anything is moving around.

even if you dont see anything, try resoldering the connections from the mic PC board to the main PC board both on the mic board and the main one. (both ends of the wires)
LC

Had a similar problem in the shack. Turned out to be the coax switch. Wasn't the radio at all, as it did the same thing regardless of what radio I hooked up. The split second after I quickly unkeyed the mic and the receive jumped back up once again. So, perhaps check the PL-239 connector for the antenna and the antenna system should be inspected. Perhaps even the SO-239 connector on the radio too; could be loose or the solder lead from the board to the connector has broken loose.

Last edited:
OK,before changing anything here are a few more things, if I unplug J12 on main board my receive comes back, but if I "JUMP" the outer pins on J12 I lose receive and I notice the TX/RX light turns yellowish orange, when this happens it looks like it is partially keyed up from looking at my handheld cb. I'm thinking it is somewhere on the main board.

Last edited:
Sorry; misread your first post.

Could be in the keying circuit, since you are seeing the TX/RX LED both lighting (red+green=amber) at the same time.
Sounds like a switching diode or even the TX/RX transistor.

but if I "JUMP" the outer pins on J12 I lose receive and I notice the TX/RX light turns yellowish orange, when this happens it looks like it is partially keyed up from looking at my handheld cb. I'm thinking it is somewhere on the main board.

Jumpering the outer pins on J12 connects the transmit line to ground THROUGH THE MIKE GAIN CONTROL, not to ground directly. This will cause a partial keyup condition. Connect the center pin on J12 to the bottom pin (the one closest to the front of the radio) to keyup the unit.
Also... you said the radio transmits as normal. Does it modulate?? 73s.

MONGOOSE -

Check C401 and C402 on the Variable Resistor PCB. I think one or the other (but probably C402) is leaky enough to drag the unit partially into transmit over time. This is why removing J12 pops the radio back into receive. These caps are SMDs (surface mount devices) and will be a PITA to remove and replace. Good luck and 73s.

dx919_ept092940z_parts_top.png

Hey 399, I looked at the picture you posted and I removed the solder bridge for pin 4 that goes to the receive on the other board. So now I have a working radio once again. Thank you for all that replied.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.