• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX959 Yeah or Neah?

Rockytherotty

May 27, 2005
Connecticut
I was thinking about getting a Galaxy DX959 for one of my other rides. I called one shop and they tried to talked me out of getting one. :?

I never owned a Galaxy radio but I always thought they were good radios...........What's the general opinion about the DX959 around here?

I will give the DX 959 a thumbs up.
I run several versions of this radio...a Galaxy DX 2547 for my base rig, a Ranger TR-696FD1 in one of my mobiles, and a DX 949 w/ freq counter from the test bench.
This radio chassis is a good product. Not quite like the Uniden Grant XL/LT, but darned near close in terms of quality. It is easy to modify for channels, and tunes up very nicely.
They are stable on sideband (thats all I use) and I am real happy that someone is making a decent sideband rig still.

Its an all around good radio.
Not a stand out by any means, But its a good radio for the dollar.I have had two of them in the past, I didnt keep either one. I bought them to resell at a profit. As far as SSB I would not reccomend it if you were buying it to strictly talk SSB. Its a Galaxy and I have yet to see one that is stable on SSB. The best Galaxy out of the bunch in my opinion is the 88. If you are going to run the 959 on both AM and SSB it might fit the bill for you. Not to switch the topic, but did you ever think of buying a Cobra 148GTL or a Uniden Grant XL ? To me it the best radio out there. If done right it is loud on AM and SSB.
If the channel conversion and alignment are done correctly
those radios stay right where they should. Id stay away from the new 148s and the Grant Lts and shop the market fo a nice 148 or GrantXL that hasnt been worked on, and then take it to a tech that knows his business and has decent equiptment,
Not just some basement tuner with a link to def pom, a screwdriver and a Dosy meter. The radios are not as hard to find as everybody thinks they are.I recently bought two 148s
from a Mom and Pop Sand and Gravel business that was having a yard sale, they used them to keep in touch with each other but upgraded to nextels. Think about the 148 and the XL before youjump on the 959.

I agree with Talking Tall. He gave me the same advice awhile back when I was looking for a sideband CB,

So I found a used Uniden Grant XL for sale. Best CB radio I have ever owned. Nothing but huge audio and constant flowers.

Justin can tune them to really talk.

Just my $0.02

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.