• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy echo board in cobra

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ive got a couple scrape galaxy cb radios and a few old cobras and got cobras working. Want to know if the echo boards from galaxys can be installed in coberas and if yes, some instruction would be nice. Ive installed many aftermarket echos in cobras but never tried this.
Can you help?

Yes, they can be installed.

On the echo board itself, you should have O/P and I/P screened onto the board. the white wire on the I/P side will solder to the mic jack on the radio. The O/P white wire will solder to the audio wire. You have to desolder the audio wire from the mic jack first, then connect the O/P white wire to the audio wire. The shields from the I/P and O/P wires can be soldered to a PCB ground source anywhere on the radio.

The power wires are pretty straight-forward. Observe polarity of course. Some boards have a brown wire for a ground wire, some are black. Red goes to a +8V source (some boards use +12V so observe that accordingly) and either brown or black will go to PCB ground.

Some boards have another set of connecters, labeled PTT I/P and O/P. Unsolder the PTT wire from the mic jack. Solder the PTT I/P wire to the mic jack, solder the O/P wire to the PTT wire you desoldered off the jack.

In most cases, you are done, and it should work. Double check your work and enjoy.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Robb
Yes, they can be installed.

On the echo board itself, you should have O/P and I/P screened onto the board. the white wire on the I/P side will solder to the mic jack on the radio. The O/P white wire will solder to the audio wire. You have to desolder the audio wire from the mic jack first, then connect the O/P white wire to the audio wire. The shields from the I/P and O/P wires can be soldered to a PCB ground source anywhere on the radio.

The power wires are pretty straight-forward. Observe polarity of course. Some boards have a brown wire for a ground wire, some are black. Red goes to a +8V source (some boards use +12V so observe that accordingly) and eithe brown or black will go to PCB ground.

Some boards have another set of connecters, labeled PTT I/P and O/P. Unsolder the PTT wire from the mic jack. Solder the PTT I/P wire to the mic jack, solder the O/P wire to the PTT wire you desoldered off the jack.

In most cases, you are done, and it should work. Double check your work and enjoy.

~Cheers~
OK Great. I figured it was about that simple. I just hadnt looked closly at it yet. I got one still in a radio and one i took out of a radio but didnt mark any thing. Thanks for the input. I might just jump on this experiment tonight. Will post up when i do and let you know the outcome.
Thanks Exit13.
Jerry...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.