• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting my first CB...Antenna Suggestions?

PSDfreak

Feb 10, 2006
Danville & Chico, CA
I am getting my first CB radio for my truck...the radio is a Cobra 25 all tuned with swing done and what not...

My question is what antenna should I get? I would like one that will get out a good distance. My problem is I will not be able to mount it on the roof as I haul lumber quite often what would interfere with a roof antenna. I have seen a lot of the guys on this site talking about the 102" whip from radio shack for $15-$16. Is it necessary to have one that long? Like I said I do drive a truck so an antenna is not that big a deal...but my truck is lifted and on 35" tires, so clearance can be an issue at times....what do you all recommend for an antenna at a decent price, and where should I locate it?

Thanks,
Casey

Casey,
Considering the limitations for space, I think you might take a look at one of the mounts that go between the hood and fender. Add a loaded antenna of some kind and have at it. The 'best' solution? Not really, but not all that bad either.
- 'Doc

there are many good antennas out there..

for 1st cb i would suggest posibly a radio with SSB..

but as for antenna...stick with the 102 inch whip or any number of loaded antennas like 10K or sling blade or coily..

good luck

Later

The coil antennas mentioned are awesome. The Wilson 1000 would be perfect mounted dead center of your roof.

But...those situations are not applicable to you with what you do and said.

102" whip on the bumper or what Doc said on the hood mount. If you go hood, get the longest (tallest) you can afford height wise. No less than 5 ft.

Coil antennas will do you only fair on the hood, and the Wilson even less at that location. Great antennas but a poor choice for your application.

Alsworld

My radio should be here tomorrow or tuesday and I'm still trying to figure out where to mount the antenna...my rear bumper is not really conducive to mounting something to it...The roof is not an option due to hauling lumber, I dont have a headache rack or tool box so I am outta luck there too....

The antenna I am going to get is the 102" whip as suggested by many on this site...Could I mount it to the inside side of the bed? Would I be compromising performance with it there? The inside of my bed is coated with "Line-X", Is this a problemif mounting to the inside wall of the bed??? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Casey

Casey,
As long as you remember that whatever type mount that you use for your antenna (whip) has to have good electrical contact, then it ought to work okay, bed-liner or not. I'm puzzled though. If you haul lumber, can you still find room to mount the antenna in the bed? If you can then that's fine, I just can't imagine how you would though. Still think your best bet would be a base loaded antenna on one of those hood/fender type mounts.
- 'Doc

My problem with the roof is when I haul lumber, its usually >15' which require it OVER the cab...I was thinking of mounting the antenna in the bed on the driver side wall (inside). Would this work ok? I have to figure out how to mount it...I was think a piece of angle iron or something bolted to the inside of the bed, then drilla hole for the antenna...Whatcha think?

Thanks,
Casey

You may be best off to mount a full sized whip with ball mount and spring on the outside wall of the bed, about halfway down. You'll probably have to remove some liner so that the mount has a good electrical connection to as much metal as possible. The spring will take most of the shock when you hit obstructions and thats what it is for. You can also use a shorter fiberglass whip with the mount but it will get beaten up. The metal whip can be replaced on the cheap. The fiberglass ones cost more and since your truck is high, it'll get beaten up harder.

But I think Doc's suggestion of a fender/hood mouht would be a bit better. No smashing into things. You would install a base loaded antenna there such as the sort taxicabs use.

Casey,
Not too close to the cab, and while the angle iron might be an idea, I think a 'ball mount' would be a better one. Ought to work, can't say how well, but it's certainly better than none, right?
- 'Doc

what would be the advantage to going on the OUTSIDE of the bed as opposed to the inside? If I am going to drill the bed I would rather drill the inside...

If I go Fiberglass what will get me as good of reception as the 102" whip? There are WAY too many choices! My radio will be here tomorrow and I am anxious to get it hooked up but dont know what to do as far as an antenna!!!

Thanks guys,
Casey

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.