• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good low cost frequency counter?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
What would be a good low cost frequency counter to align my radios with. I would mostly like to align ssb because I know a lot of radios tend to drift on ssb.

You mean an external TX/RX counter?
I usually just tune/clarify to people that I want to talk to. Never seen a radio yet while talking skip that was on the money - even though they all insist they are - lol. Doesn't matter if it is a big expensive rig or not; but some are much better than others. They are all off by a cent or less. If it is an external counter that you are considering, then most of them will only display the freq you are on when transmitting. Unless you get it wired into the radio by a shop. Then it will display your receive freq as well. Few radio brands have provisions built into the back for an external meter. What kind of radio do you have?

EDIT: Some radios drift more than others. Galaxy is one of them, Ranger is another. RCI hold pretty tight. Ambient air teperatures contributes with this problem. The more expensive Ham rigs have a 'heater stove' around the main crystal responsibe for keeping it on freq.

I have a galaxy 2547 with a turner 454x mic I modified. I turned up the modulation and AM power but didn't touch ssb do you think I should?I got a check on ssb and they said it sounded good. I just wanted a frequency counter to make small adjustments but I will probably be fine with out one.

Thanks, next time we get some conditions I am going to try and make some contacts on ssb. I tried talking to a local a few weeks ago and he was so far off I couldn't clarifiy him in, but he could me. I am pretty sure It was just his radio because I don't have any trouble clarifing other people in.

ummmmmm.... if you couldnt clarify him in to understand him how do you know he could hear or clarify you in ?
distance doesnt affect transmitting frequency , it just affects the strength of it , but many other things do that also .

If you want to really align SSB radios, you need a good frequency counter, not just an external type that is typically sold to hook up to CB's. You need a good, "lab type" counter with probes because you will use it to set the SSB offsets. It needs to have sensitivity of like 30mV or better (going off the top of my head on that one). I used to have one of these guys that was excellent:

PM 6669 High-Precision Frequency Counter

Something like that will cost you a couple hundred bucks used, at least.

Yeah, that's just a little more than you need for CB.

As long as it can measure 100 MHz down to 1 Hz resoultion with a few Hz accuracy, and is sensitive enough. Then annual calibrations, you'll be fine.

Should be able to find something used for around $100 or less.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.