• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GS35-B Tubes Glow In The Dark!

Tony said a pair of ANY tube wasn't the best choice. I have the email where he said a single 3CX3000 is BETTER than a pair of GS35s. Although he was a CHEAP QRO operator, he also believed in honest engineering.

NO Engineer will tell you a pair of tubes is better than one. That's stupidity at it's finest.

I believe I saw the thread where Paws got this amplifier working. On another reflector. Could be another two tuber.... BUT, not a whole lot of dual GS35b amplifiers in the prototype stage.

Anywho, glad to see you got it working. Sounded good two days ago comin outta the mighty blue!

--Toll_Free

Shane,

When I built my first GS35B amp, the tubes only cost $70 bucks a piece plus $30 dollars shipping. Tony was the only person with a working knowledge of the Russian tubes and their operating characteristics. He was the "rlm" of GS35B's. ;)

I once tore the whole bottom out of a finished amp because Tony advised against using the CT as the cathode return, the need for dual filament transformers and, triode control boards versus 33 volt @ 1 watt (x100) zener diodes.

This is the one that was past the prototype stage, I delivered it to an associate and, he "helped" me find out where the weak points were and, what needed to be reinforced; this is part of his warranty service. I was on the other reflector trying to come up with proactive plans to prevent downtime.

I will never build a multiple tube amp again; dual filament transformers, bias circuits and separate grid and cathode metering for each tube is insane. Just get a bigger tube instead of trying to fight with multiples.

I have been stateside so, instead of hearing me, you were hearing someone in the Mighty Blue making reference to a piece of my equipment.

We (family) pulled the plug, so to speak, 18 months later. He never came out of the coma. 7 years later, his brother died in the same shop.
Man, I'm really sorry to hear of the pain that you and your family went through, not once but twice.

I'm sure that you heard the cliché "at least they were doing what they loved to do", and to a degree that may be a little comforting to some people, if only temporary. It's one of those things that we don't talk about much, but are plenty aware of. I used to make parts for "Tricky Dick" and his blown puller, Dan Patrick and his "Sampson" monster truck, my accountant who runs a STARS late model, plus I hung out with the 410 guys that I competed with ........ heck, I live just 10 minutes from a 10-11sec 3/8 mile dirt track. You guys were sand dragging 85 yards in what, 2.3 seconds? We are all aware of the dangers involved with "taming the beast", but we try and ignore the fact that "the beast" has natural instincts and will reach up and tear your face off without warning.

Would I rather have died flipping a sprint car down the front stretch or died being T-Boned by a drunk? Yeah, I'd rather have died in my sprint car, no question. But being out of the seat for almost 10 years and looking back, I'd really rather be here to see my first grandchild born someday.

So while that may be a somewhat comforting thought, and there may even be some truth in varying degrees, it is still very painful to lose a loved one and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I'd rather have an amp with a few ugly and experimental parts than one that looks perfect and isn't complete.

Some of the finest quality signals are made by stuff that looks like crap. Take that to the bank.

There are a whole bunch of projects like this that never get finished because someone wants perfection.

Great job!
There are always exceptions to the rule. (Since we've gotten off track with motor sports) There is always a group of guys who show up at the local Saturday night track, looking like they never even washed their machine from last weekend, let alone do any weekly maintenance. And yet they are fast. But the bottom line is, the guys who pay attention to the very minute details are the ones winning the championships.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread, I had no way of knowing who built that amp. But my initial reaction was one of "whoever built that amp doesn't pay attention to details." Now that I know who built it, I stand by my remarks, but that doesn't make it a personal attack. If you put your stuff out there for the world to scrutinize, you need to expect scrutiny.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.