• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Half Wave Loop

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Here is an antenna that I've not heard much about.

I'm looking for a better solution to my HF antenna, mostly because the noise level is much too high. Right now I have about 60 meters of wire strung across my property and fed from a tuner. Seems like I can load every band 80 to 10 meters.

But the loop should be a better performer, as I've heard, even a half wave loop. But could this sort of antenna load up on as many bands?

Loops

C2: I prefer a Full Wave loop...yes 1/2 waves will load but in reality your just using a "Bent Dipole" and they work the best on the freq's it's cut for and up.
A 180 ft loop is a little short for 80m they should be a minimum of 240ft to preform their best.
The feed-line I think is the key. Yes coax works but 300 ohm twin lead or 450 ohm Ladder line will out preform a coax feed loop at any point, and most certainly if you want to multi-band the antenna. I also like feeding more than one dipole or stacking dipoles as the better alternative to a big loop.
I am presently running 4/40m dipoles feed in a "Backfire" configuration with about 35 ft spacing between... each one is feed and connected with 450 line.
I have had good success running all bands from 80m to 6m with it...I would post a diagram, but I can never get this site to upload pictures when I want it to...do it on other sites but never get it to work here!
The key to a good working loop is start with a minimum of 4-1/4 waves lengths(Quad Loop laying horizontal) and if you have the space increase the length in 1/2 wave lengths from there on the lower freq you want it to work.
You can go from there...have fun good luck
All the Best
BJ

I shoulda been more clear...I only have 30' x 120' to work within. The current antenna is a random wire that sort of winds around the property.

I've found that a full wave 80 meter loop will work almost anywhere. My lot is 50 x 150 (+/- a bit), but only something like 40 x 100 is usable (supports/trees). The shape isn't all that critical at all. The more area inside the loop the 'better'. It didn't exactly like 15 meters too well, but you -could- load it there. If fed with ladder line and a tuner, the bigger the loop the better! Two or three wave lengths or more certainly wouldn't hurt (yeah, I wish). Resonant? Yep, it sure is, somewhere. Not something to worry about a lot.
Thought about tapping the top wire on those power poles, the ground wire. Take an axe to a few of the ground leads down those poles and the thing ought'a be pretty 'large', you think??
- 'Doc

well, the circumfrence of the lot is big enough for the 80 meter, full-wave loop.

I also considered that the 1/2 wave loop radiates more in the plane of the loop.

Actually, a horizontal loop's polarization just depends on 'where' you feed it. If you feed a square loop at a corner, it's vertically polarized. Center of one side and it's horizontally polarized. If it isn't a square, no idea where 'that' feed point would be. Regardless, if the thing isn't up about 1/2 wave length above ground, it just isn't going to be very directional, or a very 'flat' radiator. Remember, that 1/2 wave length isn't the antenna's length, but where it's being used, the band. After that, and if the thing is high enough, and isn't a circle or square shape, the radiation pattern isn't that predictable without some modeling (which should give you a general trend for radiation pattern, sort of).
While a horizontal loop is 'sort of' directional, it definitely ain't very directional like a vertical loop. If that's one of the characteristics you really want, stand the thing on it's end. :)
- 'Doc

If that's one of the characteristics you really want, stand the thing on it's end. :)
- 'Doc

40 meters off the ground, another 10 meters up the sides, I might need a permit to go 150 feet up.

I think I'll just start from the feed point and try to route as much wire around the lot as possible. Might be able to fit in the whole 80 meter loop. I'm just hoping it will help with the noise. The noise...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.