• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham...

Getting back to the OP, it would be wise to learn the material in the test questions, as it may serve you at a later date when operating. Understanding antenna theory goes a long ways, as well as knowing the different modes, etc, as well as being able to understand a wiring diagram. It may not be apparent now, but in the future it likely will. At the least, learn it enough to pass the test, then slowly work on fully understanding the stuff.

With everyting being plug and play now out of the box, including antennas, it makes no sense to test the masses on electronic knowledge or skills. Better to test on rules and regs and operating protocols. Let people do what they want to on the side as far as building stuff goes.

Hell...I routinely see new Extra class hams posting to various forums asking how to build a dipole. That to me is incredible but just the way it is now. Why build when you it takes 10 minutes to order online?

I'd rather not hear a new ham on 10 meters calling CQ with a handle and call sign from the "mud duck mobile". That's just depressing.

Pretty bad I agree but in the 10 minutes it takes him to order online I can make one and be on the air with it. He still has to wait for it to ship and his shipping charges alone will cost him a lot more than the complete antenna that I made. Besides, whatever happened to self pride, doing something yourself and reaping the rewards of it?

With everyting being plug and play now out of the box, including antennas, it makes no sense to test the masses on electronic knowledge or skills. Better to test on rules and regs and operating protocols. Let people do what they want to on the side as far as building stuff goes.

Hell...I routinely see new Extra class hams posting to various forums asking how to build a dipole. That to me is incredible but just the way it is now. Why build when you it takes 10 minutes to order online?

I'd rather not hear a new ham on 10 meters calling CQ with a handle and call sign from the "mud duck mobile". That's just depressing.

Come on Mack, you know all the BS about CB amps. You know the big hoopla about builders versus assemblers. The old timers built them and today everyone just assembles copies of Dave's amps or whoever. :laugh:

"I resemble that remark"

V5GK000Z.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.