• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEATHKIT SB-220

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Im looking at differentbase amplifiers if this TS-1600 Goes I have forsale. I was looking at ALS-500 811 ans 811H but have been watching these SB-220 aswell. Im looking for thoughts and advice on these amplifiers from people who have owned them or are familiar with them.

I was looking around and seen that these are capable of up to 1500 watts PEP which would be super for my 75-80 meter use I was looking at the Ameritron 572B and most that own them seem to be having trouble with them along with some of the 811H units which makes me a bit gun shy on purchasing these particular units.

I have the ALS-500 in my mobile. It will do a solid 400 watts and is a good little amp. One of the locals I talk to sometimes on 75 meters has an AL-811 and has no trouble with it. For the price, I would probably choose the AL-811 over the ALS-500 for a base installation so that you don't have to deal with an external power supply.

If you like the solid state amps, another option you should consider is the Tokyo Hy-Power amps. There's another guy here that runs several different models of those and he absolutely loves them. They're a little pricey, but they are really nicely built. His is quiet, reliable, and it's hard to beat just "turn it on and use it" type of functionality. You might have seen some of the pictures I took of them at Dayton this year; I was quite impressed.

The SB-220 is a classic, but I won't own one. I don't have the time and barely have the skills to work on an amp if it were to develop a problem. There are a lot of people that could work on an SB-220, but there is something to be said about being able to send it into the manufacturer for repair.

I have an ALS-600 I use on one setup and a near mint Yaesu 2100B on another I like both amps for different reasons no problems but then again the 2100B has all the upgrades. Ok heres the scoop on this SB-220 I was looking at heres what he said

Heathkit SB220 amplifier with Eimec tubes in very nice condition. I have done the following:
1.The glitch resistor mods to the grids
2. The parasitic suppressor mods.
3. The keying circuit mods.
4. Painted the RF deck black where needed.
5. Meter protection diodes.
6. New keying relay from W8CQ installed.

I will take $700.00 for it shipped

Well, heres my view on this tony. Do you need or want 160 meters? If not then go for the sb220. They are VERY easy to work on compared to other units(since it was designed to be built by amateurs) and there are TONS and TONS of parts and support for the amps. Not to mention they are VERY attractively priced for a close to legal limit amp(Id run 1300 watts and not 1500 and the tubes will last forever!!!!!).

P.S. I need your 2100b to complete my mint ft101E setup! :)

LMAO!! my 2100B is a great Amplifier it looks so close to new plastic still on the front actual Yaesu inspection tag still on the power cord. I have had this for 3-4 years now and its still puts out full output although I run 60 watts in and thats it so it idles around 600 watts or so I got this with the original owners manual ETC it came from Brghardt Amateur center and they did all the upgrades.

I opened it up a few months back to blow out the dust and there was hardly any dust in it and I couldnt believe it on how it looks new inside the metal fans and all its a clean fast tuning amplifier everyone thats seen this wanted it on the spot I cant help but laugh its just an old amplifier!!

I cant believe how fast these things tune and load up its really cool. I had a problem 2 weeks ago where it was popping and here to find out due to weather being screwy here it warmed up and flies and asian beetles were out in fullforce and when I fired the amplifier up tio get on the 80 meter net I play on these bugs were comitting suicide!! they make quite a bang let me tell ya.

Now all is good I always cover the thing when not in use so what these bugs did was go to the heat when I turned it on and lets just say they wont ever beable to do that again!! Ive learned thes 572B tubes it sports are a good reliable sturdy tube. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.