• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEATHKIT SB 221

Let's get on the same page with terms.

Input power is DC power used by the final.

Drive power is R.F. drive into the amplifier stage.

I just cant understand some of the output specs people share or talk about that there setup is doing but hell look most of the competition amp builders and what there claims are. I mean even after doing the math it just cannot work to achieve there power ratings and there specs or claims.

I always tell people give me a few minutes with any of my several meters and I can have RCI 2970 putting out 400 watts!! If you see what Im getting at ;)

well, both my watt meters that i use came from the local HAM shop Universal-radio on the east side of my city(Columbus,OH), and i can assure you they have never ever been "tweaked" or fiddled with....you have to excuse me for the poor quality pictures , it sure was a pain trying to snap pics and talk at the same time...i know here come the folks to blast me about IMD/Harmonics/spurious emissions fooling the meter,but i do not have a scope & spectrum analyzer, but on the airwaves the 78xl is one of the cleanest sounding stations you will hear in my city(nice clean smooth transition between audio peaks and no snap crackle pop over driven sweep tube junk...

2x1446@15v(150w scale PEP mode)

23.jpg

final output from sb-220(1500w scale PEP mode) pegged!

24-1.jpg

final output on bird43(NO PEP kit)
25-1.jpg

Last edited:
THIS IS UNDERSTANDABLE I wasnt referring to your reply at all its the comp amp builders as I said and this 900 watts in sb-221!!! Im not calling anyone a liar I am just puzzled and was curious what mods were done to the sb-221.

I am sorry if I offended you that was not my intention by any means.

I like the Bird 43 in the "reflected power" reading mode. Or, do you always input sourced RF right to left, and position the 2500W element upside down? ;)

I like you!

well, both my watt meters that i use came from the local HAM shop Universal-radio on the east side of my city(Columbus,OH), and i can assure you they have never ever been "tweaked" or fiddled with....you have to excuse me for the poor quality pictures , it sure was a pain trying to snap pics and talk at the same time...i know here come the folks to blast me about IMD/Harmonics/spurious emissions fooling the meter,but i do not have a scope & spectrum analyzer, but on the airwaves the 78xl is one of the cleanest sounding stations you will hear in my city(nice clean smooth transition between audio peaks and no snap crackle pop over driven sweep tube junk...

2x1446@15v(150w scale PEP mode)

23.jpg

final output from sb-220(1500w scale PEP mode) pegged!

24-1.jpg

final output on bird43(NO PEP kit)
25-1.jpg

Last edited:
THIS IS UNDERSTANDABLE I wasnt referring to your reply at all its the comp amp builders as I said and this 900 watts in sb-221!!! Im not calling anyone a liar I am just puzzled and was curious what mods were done to the sb-221.

I am sorry if I offended you that was not my intention by any means.

nah, i just didnt want people to think i was using cb shop tuned meter, i totally understand where your coming from with the 900w driver thing...

I like the Bird 43 in the "reflected power" reading mode. Or, do you always input sourced RF right to left, and positioning the 2500W element upside down? ;)

I like you!

LOL...nah, thats not reflected...input is right--->left, input left--->right reads the exact same obviously...the way everything is positioned on my desk and being that my coax is standard LMR-400 and not the flex, its easier to input right--->left since i dont have to twist & kink the ant. feedline/jumper so i can still have the meter facing me directly...you can see my junk desk is positioned in the station pics section...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.