• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Henry 2.5KW Amp

Heavy Hitter

Feb 2, 2012
Henry 2.5KW Amp

Description:
Rackmount 2.5KW RF generator designed to operate on the 27.12 Mhz ISM frequency and used for medical and industrial use. Basically, it consists of a linear power supply (massive...) at the bottom of a 4.5-ft rackmount on wheels.
The PSU powers a Henry model 2500PGC-27 exciter/amp assembly. Has Bird slugs and associated RF plumbing.

Original mfg.: Applied Research Laboratories Inc.
Consisting of::
Henry 2500PGC-27 RF Amp (tunable). Uses rebuilt Eimac 3CX3000A7 triode.
Power Supply input: 220VAC 36A 47-63 Hz single-phase
Mfg. Date: 1988
RF Output: 2.5KW 27.12

You could get 220VAC 50A service for your laundry room and run this!!
As far as I can tell, everything is complete. You don't have to sweat out finding the hard-to-get filament transformer, etc. I do not have the technical manual or schematic. I do have pictures. Needs about 10-15 hours of clean-up and check out. Unit is air-cooled with a rear-mounted blower assy.

The plate voltage is 4KV and whoever buys this is going to need to be electrically competent or you could be killed! Will not sell to anyone who is not competent or appears to be psychologically unstable due to the serious nature of RF energy involved as well as other misuse. This is a perfect conversion project for a club, etc.

Pictures available.
FOB Minnesota

Heavy Hitter

His requirements for competency and sound mine disqualifies myself.

He's a heavy hitter and it's in his nature to belittle everyone in his presence, I say take a walk and if it requires 10-15 hours time to clean up and check out it must come from a cigarette smoking atmosphere and it will stink for awhile if you can get it up and running.

It sounds like this unit is not a straight forward amplifier but rather an ISM (Industrial Scientific Medical) RF heating device operating on an ISM freq of 27.120MHz. Some folks have successfully converted them to regular amplifiers but the conversion is difficult and requires the addition of a variable tank circuit as well as converting the unit from a high powered oscillator to a clean output amp.

Hi!

Target price is $1300 "as is". I state "as is" because I do not have the facilities to test the amp. As far as the Eimac tube, I currently have no clue what the condition is. I suppose I could pull it and have someone test it. From what I understand, these particular triodes are re-buildable and this one has been rebuilt.

After taking a better look at the whole amp after a photo session, I could easily part this out and get $1300. The Bird Directional Coupler assy with the 2 Bird slugs showing both forward power and SWR would bring $500.

This is 220VAC single phase 36A. Many folks have their homes wired for 220VAC 100A service. It has a Hubbell plug (big) and looks like the 6-ft rubber power cord would plug right in.

If I kept it, I would have the large coil and hardware in the main amp cabinet re-plated and of course clean and test everything. When all finished, and I'd guess 10-15 hours works from someone who knows what they are doing, you would have an up-to-date 10-11 Meter amp you would be proud to own. I can't do that right now, so I have to sell it.

Pictures soon to come.

Sorry Bud, it was in an industrial environment with no cigarette smoke. Nice shot though. You get a gold star and a Kewpie doll to cuddle you.

As far as the restoration work involved, sure, one could just connect it up and maybe be on the air, but for those of us who respect communications or any other equipment for that matter, including audio gear, we like to make sure everything is in order. Sounds like you chew tobacco.

Yes, I am a "first time poster" here on this website. Big deal. The reason is to give a first shot here before I go elsewhere. I will put this on eBay when all other avenues are exhausted.

Henry 2.5KW Pix

see pix

Attachments

• Henry2500PGC_ExciterFront2.jpg
    Henry2500PGC_ExciterFront2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 312
  • Henry2500PGC_Final.jpg
    Henry2500PGC_Final.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 378
  • Henry2500PGC_FinalTune.jpg
    Henry2500PGC_FinalTune.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 329
  • Henry2500PGC_Label.jpg
    Henry2500PGC_Label.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 325
Wish I could scoop this up. The parts alone are worth $1300

On a side note, Heavy Hitter, welcome to the site and try to realize we get ALOT of spam and scam here. So please exercise a bit of humility with some of the skepticism from the "seasoned" vets. WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!

dxhound,

Thanks for your comments. I will lighten up. I put the amp on the bay and there is well over 1400 hits with one bid. It will be gone in 16-hours.

Best,

Heavy Hitter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.