• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hey i am new here,got some ??'s

es500smith

Aug 21, 2008
rougemont n.c.
i got a 20watt cobra 29 ,wilson 1000,d104 and a 3 pill davemade,,,it has worked great in my truck for the 8 years or so i have had it,and to some peoples surprise will do right at 600 watts,well i was in the 1st key down of my life couple months back and i was sitting in between to other truck and got my but handed to me,a 100 skeleton whooped me,on the way back to the guy with the base to listen to the watergate,,i keyed it up and my volt gauge in the dash pegged and my headlights got so bright i thought they were gonna explode ,,,,i have since taken the stuff out ,dont know if it matters but my truck is an 1999 s-10 4cyl...anyone got a clue as to what happened??

and one more ?,,i have decided i would like to use this as a base ,and possibly have the 3 pill turned into a 5 pill,a guy told me he could do it for $150 and use 24 volt pills in case i wanna "volt" it, but it seems no one builds unregulated power supplies round here anymore,so what kinda power supply could i easily get that would run it without a problem??

Dunno what happened, but leave the box alone, the 24V pill thing sounds hinkey.

As far as 600W goes, I've done it driving the piss out of a two pill.

Nice to see the needle wave that far, but alot of it isn't on the channel your radio is on.

Hook it to a low pass filter, and watch it show ALOT less.

I agree with 74IN, leave the amp alone. If you want abigger amp buy one.

As far as your keydown goes several things. Alot of who will win is decided on the antenna system and groundplane. If you are directional and your weakest direction is to the side, and the other guy is pointing his strongest direction right at the baee station judge he could beat you. If you were to point your strongest signal to that base you win. The base judge could have been pulling your leg too just to get your goat. maybe the guy you keyed with was sandbagging you and actually running a bigger amplifier.

" What are you guys talking about? "

Ah, well, the guy is wondering how he got his butt handed to him in a keydown or shootout. Just trying to evaluate the situation and what could have happened.

Es500smith, the more I read this 24 volt pill thing the more I cringe. Thats THE LAST CLOWN you want working on your amplifier.

" What are you guys talking about? "

Ah, well, the guy is wondering how he got his butt handed to him in a keydown or shootout. Just trying to evaluate the situation and what could have happened.

Es500smith, the more I read this 24 volt pill thing the more I cringe. Thats THE LAST CLOWN you want working on your amplifier.

Cheating is common in informal keydowns. I wouldn't sweat it......the judge could have been less than truthful. Unless the other competitor had a grossly better antenna system there is no way a mudduck TS Skeleton can beat you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned