• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF Ant using Electric Fence Wire

Lushy

Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone made a antenna using modern electric fence wire, it is light in weight, strong, easy to join but maybe a pain to solder as it has a nylon component with the wire braided through it.
Any suggestions with this stuff as I have about 40 meters of it.:confused:

Lushy
VK3HDL
Melbourne

You mean this ?

bipolar_tape_2008.jpg

I read where one guy used it for a folded dipole.

I have seen dipoles on Ebay made from this stuff. He rolls it up, you unroll it untill resonet.
Rich

Couldn't be any worse to work with than the old tinsel cord used in WW2 military headphones and other applications. Solution: use crimp connections instead of trying to solder it.

The wire I got was more like a cord construction with the wire bundled through it, yep I will give it a go and see how it performs. The good thing I suppose is that it can be easy knotted so will not require much more then a piece of nylon chopping board as a centre support and the supplus at the ends could be rolled in and out depending on the SWR/freq used. Of course a ant tuner will be a must.:unsure:
Lushy
VK3 HDL

Funny you mentioned this...I sold some stuff I wasn't using to a semi-local ham during the summer that I met at the swap meet. He mentioned to me that he used the electric fence wire for antennas all the time. He swore by it because it was so durable and light weight. He told me that he made all his wire antennas with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.