• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF antennas

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
I noticed that the HF ant. i see are rather large ,do they make them that are multi band but not quite so big. What i mean by big is the ones i see look like 12 element beams,as far as size goes.

It all depends what part of the HF range it is built for and how many elements it has.I have a Cushcraft A3 tribander beam for 10,15,and 20m.It is a three element yagi and has a 14 foot boom.The longest element is 27 feet long That is almost a standard type of tribander.You can get an 11 element tribander if you want.If you get a log periodic antenna it will be good over a VERY wide range of freqs. but will have LOTS of elements and the overall gain will be lower.Now if you want a REALLY big HF antenna look HERE

IMD262,
For 160? SURE! I have the 'life-sized' plans for one, want a copy? Send blank check for copying fees and paper. :) No 'plastic' please, I figure if I'm going to lie that much I should at least do it by 'hand'...
- 'Doc

IMD262 said:
Do you think he will get around to make a yagi for 160 ???

You know I have been waiting for someone to attempt that.It would have to be a loaded antenna of some sort I would think but just imagine the response to "The antenna here is a full sized three element rotatable yagi at 200 feet tuned to 1840 at the center". :shock: ;)

So, do you call it a 4-element beam because it has 4-elements, or do we call it a 3-element? The two center elements is part of that close space matching network that does improve the performance of the antenna specs, as I understand it. I looked breifly for some back up references but didn't find any within the limited time I have right now. When I come up with it, I'll post it here.

In the mean time, here is some interesting reading:
http://www.cal-av.com/N7CL.pdf

Master Cheif,I see what you are saying but I think it is still a four element beam.The double driven design and close spacing helps with the bandwidth and also aids in the pattern shaping.I built a six element yagi for 6m but only used a single driven element but the spacing from the driver to the first director is only 18 inches and from driver to the reflector is only 27 inches which at first glance is absurd even for 6m.Several guys asked me WTF I was thinking and after on-air tests with them they found out.Normal spacing would call for something close to 50+ inches.It was based on an optimized yagi design I found (can't remember where) and all I know is that it works far better than the normal design.F/B and F/S are fantastic as I can completly null out an S-9+ signal.Forward gain is not too shabby either.

QRN said:
It all depends what part of the HF range it is built for and how many elements it has.I have a Cushcraft A3 tribander beam for 10,15,and 20m.It is a three element yagi and has a 14 foot boom.The longest element is 27 feet long That is almost a standard type of tribander.You can get an 11 element tribander if you want.If you get a log periodic antenna it will be good over a VERY wide range of freqs. but will have LOTS of elements and the overall gain will be lower.Now if you want a REALLY big HF antenna look HERE

my God I want one lol

I better get my 6-49 Ticket for this weeks draw lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.