• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Need help lowering SWR on an icom 2100. I have it mounted in my truck and my SWR is 4.1 to 1, so would i need lenghten my antenna to bring down resonant frequency or is it the other way around?

You need to check at 144 and 148 first. High at 148, low at 144, shorten. Other way round, lenghten.

With the information given there is absolutely no way of telling what you need to do to correct the problem. I would suggest trying to determine if your antenna is too long or too short by the 'normal' methods. Then, procede from there.
- 'Doc

If you have an antenna designed for 145 Mhz, you should not see a 4:1 match, even if it was out of band. Using an antenna cut for MURS (153.210) on 145.00 shows a high SWR, but no where near 4:1. You have other issues.

If you have a dummy load, check the radio into that first. If you have an analyzer, check the antenna, jiggle the coax, especially near the ends! See if the analyzer jumps around.

2mguy with your helpful info i was able to bring down swr to 1.5 near the lower end of band and 1.6 near higher end.

It took an hour triming antenna a little bit at a time to finally reach acceptable readings.Thanks and 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.