• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade amp with Six Eimac 3-500Zs- What do I do with it?

Checkerboard

Jul 17, 2006
I have a two-piece homemade amp that I bought from an estate sale. The main power transforner is a Peter dahl brand and it weighs 67 pounds. The tube cabinet houses six Eimac 3-500Z tubes (I think two are 3-500ZG), which are clear and look almost new. I understan the amp was never used, since the builder didn't have a dummy load strong enought to handle the wattage.

I want to sell it all, but not together, as I don't want to be liable for someone electrocuting themselves with this monster! There looks to be some very expensive parts inside, like dual Gould relays, another Peter Dahl transformer in the tube cabinet, and a glass-enclosed rotary inductor (I think that's what it is) plus the Eimac tubes, etc.

I'm asking for some advice as to how to best get rid of this setup. Should I part it out? Or sell the tube cabinet with tubes and related parts, all built? Is the big 67 pound transformer worth much? It looks brand new. I have pictures if anyone's interested.

Thanks, Checkerbboard

Re: Homemade amp with Six Eimac 3-500Zs- What do I do with i

Checkerboard said:
I want to sell it all, but not together, as I don't want to be liable for someone electrocuting themselves with this monster!
Sell it together. It is almost worthless in pieces. If someone is stupid enough to put their hands inside of a live amp, they deserve to die.

Re: Homemade amp with Six Eimac 3-500Zs- What do I do with i

Master Chief said:
If someone is stupid enough to put their hands inside of a live amp, they deserve to die.

Master Chief, you beat me to it! All I can say is "AMEN".

How do I attach or include pictures of the amplifier?

I'm happy to attach photos, but cannot find out how to accomplish this- can anybody advise me?

Upload the picture to the web somewhere, and put the address inside of these tags:

Pictures of the amp

Never uploaded pictures to a site, and then had to embed the website's address into a message before. It doesn't look that easy to me! If anyone is serious about the homebuilt amplifier, I can e-mail them picture of the amp and transformer as an attachment to the e-mail. Otherwise, watch for six Eimac 3-500Z's, a couple of Peter Dahl transformers, capacitor boards, roller inductors, etc. for sale on eBay soon! Thanks, Checkerboard

JustinDePolis said:
Sell it to a stupid channel 6'er. They'll but the parasitic ridden box, blow it up, then pay to have it fixed, blow it up, pay to have it fixed, and then rinse and repeat.

But seriously, in all honesty, it's hard to tell without seeing it, but it's probably going to be WAY MORE TROUBLE than it's worth.

"Sell it to a stupid channel 6'er." whats Sup with that??? i would love to see pic's Bro

JustinDePolis said:
Sell it to a stupid channel 6'er.
you know Justin,I can and will only speak for my-self.Im far from well educated,drive a truck for a living and do the best I can.I enjoy having equipment in my truck that sounds good,and Im fortunate enough to now know people such as Freecell and the old all helpful JUSTIN we all remember.but Ive got to say that since your closing of comm. experts,almost every post you do has some cynical remark pointed at some CBer,some channel 6er,or some liar.you know Justin,its just sad the way you throw your holier than thou around.I went and specifically pulled up your posts to see if I was wrong,but I wasnt.go back to pre october and your the golden gifted kid that was more than willing to help.And now---whats up?????Are these your new colors?I wish youd come back and be yourself instead of this resentful bitter piece of shit youve made of yourself these last few months!!!I probably should have PMed you this,but once I got started I got carried away and my woodpecker typing a$$ aint about to start over!!GOOD RIDDENS and hope to have your old self back someday.you sound like psyco now!!!!!!!!!!!!LATER

JustinDePolis said:
Sell it to a stupid channel 6'er.
Now now people, he said a STUPID channel 6'er, not a smart one.

There are plenty of guys who run the bowl who know what they are doing. Those guys would have nothing to do with a 6-tube 3-500z box!

Then you find the "STUPID" ones who think 24 6LF6s is the only way to go, or in this case, 6 x 3-500z!

Here is the rule, "If you can't get your desired output with 2-tubes, your tubes are too small." The purists will say to run only ONE tube.

Justin may be tired and a bit cynical, I'll give you that. But, what he said is 100% accurate. He has worked on some of these boxes and knows what he is talking about.

As for Kevin:

kevin IB said:
I wish you'd come back and be yourself instead of this resentful bitter piece of shit you've made of yourself these last few months!!! GOOD RIDDENS and hope to have your old self back someday.
I'm confused. You want the old Justin to come back but call him a POS. Then you repeat yourself followed by "good riddens"? And you say HE sounds like Psyco?! :roll:

Master,just to clarify my point.All I was getting at was that a lot of his posts these days have sideways comments commonly stating stupid CBers/...he knows the truth in how I feel towards his expertece.As we all do.I compared his sideways comments with psycos.I would never insult his inteligence by comparing his brains.And as contradictary as it may have sounded,I was comparing how he used to explain things versus the way he does now.I only wish things to be the way they used to be.he seems to have become bitter.And basicaly stated snap out of it and go back to the way you used to be.Dont let a few bad situations ruin your attitude for the rest of us that still and always will look to him for advice.The helpful brainiac that he is!!I was just calling a spaid a spaid and calling him on his $hit!!!Im certainly not looking for an argument.And I recant my calling him a POS.I used a poor choice of words.Sorry Justin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.