• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do I Correct the Square Wave?

jimbowilly

Mar 25, 2011
Hi,

Is it possible to regain a healthy wave on a radio which has had a speech processor or compressor installed?

What adjustments would I need to make to regain a healthy wave after a processor/compressor install?

Thank you,
Jimbowilly

I assume you've tried just turning those compressors/processors off?
- 'Doc

Yup. Turn things down until quality improves. There is no need to run dirty audio just because a compressor/processor is installed. All my HF radios as well as a 2950DX have them and I do not run dirty audio.

Be specific as to which radio you are talking about.

Nothing wrong with a speech processor; that is the right step in the right direction!

Inspect the small copper coils in the back of the radio near the output. If they have been spread out; then un-spread them. This will help keep the harmonic output down low - as it was designed to do. Pretty important to do. It is hard to say what has been done to this radio w/o detailed pictures. Check to see if the AM regulator has been removed. If it has; replace it. Set the modulation pot on the board with a modulation meter (Dosy or Astatic meter) at 95% when yelling into the mic. Make sure the mic gain is all of the way open or almost all of the way open. This will insure that bleedover and over-modulation isn't happening.

If you do all of these things and have a compressor installed; you should have a fairly clean - yet potent - signal with little to no square waving/'clipping'.

No coils are spread on this radio.

I installed an echo board which uses an audio processor.

Did not cut modulation limiter. Modulation set at half .
Carrier set at 2watts low power, 4watts high power.

Dosy indicates TX on high power is 22watts.

Thank you,
Jimbowilly

The SP1-A speech processor's are excellent, if your not sure what to do send it in to Bob's CB, they helped develope them and know what the heck they are doing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.