• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how good would a 1/2 copper pipe work for....

That antenna embedded in glass works because almost any electrical conductor will work for a receiving only antenna. Receiving antennas are not as critical in length as transmitting antennas because they aren't really a part of a 'tuned' circuit.
That's not a very 'scientific' explanation but it's a fairly accurate 'general' one. There is no particular benefit to using copper, as opposed to some other conductive material for antennas. There is a big benefit in the 'other' characteristics of some metals, such as stiffness, strength, weight, etc. It just depends on how/where that antenna is used.
- 'Doc

Sooooooo hard long copper pipe running across my back window = (y) or can I do something better as far as copper wire and piping goes?

Also, if that works fine, will the wider the pipe = better the reception?

Sooooooo hard long copper pipe running across my back window = (y) or can I do something better as far as copper wire and piping goes?

Also, if that works fine, will the wider the pipe = better the reception?

Hard copper pipe would just be an annoying thing to have in a car just to receive AM/FM broadcasts.
You can probably go down to PepBoys or Kragens - or even a local car stereo store will have a much better antenna solution that a clunky piece of pipe in your car.
Try to explain why you have a chunk of metal in the car the next time you are on a date!

I believe this question concerns a broadcast receiver antenna not a chickenband radio antenna.

Would the particular metal an antenna is made from make any difference? As long as it's conductive, no, it wouldn't.
Does the physical 'size' of the antenna make any difference? In general, no. Specifically, it can, which doesn't necessarily mean it will, just that it can. It's frequency related. Meaning that as the desired frequency you want to listen to get's lower, the 'best' physical size (electrical size) get's bigger. When the range of frequencies are such that a particular size makes a huge difference, such as the AM/FM broadcast bands, the size of that 'best' antenna is soooo impractical, or convenient, or desirable, as in big, it's just not worth doing. Actually, the FM broadcast band's 'best' antenna is sort of what you find on most cars. Something between 2 and 3 feet long, give or take a bit. For the AM broadcast band, something like 150 feet. Sort of impractical, huh? :)
Have you seen the car antennas that look like a fishing pole, arrow, who knows what other shapes? They work, they're metal, sort of a convenient size, and somebody likes the look of them. Wanna make one for your car? Why not? Are there 'problems' with that? Sure, just depends on exactly what you want to do and how bad. Have at it!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.