• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many guy wires

mag69

Oct 2, 2005
MI
My landlord said I can put up a mast :D (but no concrete or attached to the house) :( so i picked up a 36ft mast from rat shack and I was thinking do think a 6 foot piece of 1 7/8 fence pipe hit into the ground 5ft bolted to the mast with a IMax 2000 on top with 4 or 8 guy wires will hold up again Michigan Winters what do you guys think will it work or not? any advise will be welcome :)
Thanks

mag69,
How many guy wires? Sort of depends on how 'paranoid' you are, and how safe you want to be.
The base of a mast shouldn't move/bend. Put some kind of a 'stub' in the ground so that it will hold the base of the mast still. How deep and how long depends on the nature of the soil where you live. You probably have a better understanding of that part than I do (since I don't live there). If that stub is going to add height to the whole thing then it should be as least as strong as the base portion of the mast. More is better as far as strength goes. Unless the base of the mast is placed on something 'solid', it will gradually sink into the ground. Not really something to worry about unless you live in a swamp, right? How many guys you use and at what levels depends on the strength of the mast and it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm assuming the mast is made in 10 foot section, so, I'd put a set of three guys at each joint. The foot of each guy needs to be as firmly 'planted' as the base stub (actually, more so). Turnbuclkes and thimbles are nice, usually makes things easier to adjust.
Bailing wire makes for a lousy guy wire. You want something that's strong, and not stretchy. Another case where over-doing it is better than under doing it. (If it takes an anvil and hammer to bend the stuff you've probably gone too far). Guys shouldn't be loose, they need to be tight enough so that the mast doesn't 'shake', but not tight enough to bend/deform the mast.
Getting to sound sort of complicated? Not really, but just good common sense. Unless you're a 'government', it's always better to 'over do' than having to re-do later...
- 'Doc

Thanks W5LZ and all of you, I think a 6 foot fence pipe drove in the ground 4 to 5 feet and the mast bolted to it with a 1/2 bolt thought it will make the bottom stable and the mast is a 36ft telescopic mast with 3 guy rings and is heavy duty not that light duty gray tv antenna junk that rat shack sells and my I max 2000 should be here by monday :D and then I'm up and running again, Thanks for all the help I will be running about 9 guy wires with all the needed stuff to keep it tight.

Im mounting one about the same way to get me till spring. Im mounting mine in a C band satalite antenna pole. Put some concrete in the bottom. Going to have to sleve it alittle with apeice of pipe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.