• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hustler 4-BTV

ranger2970

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 27, 2008
Hi Everyone..Just got a Hustler 4 BTV.The paperwork says its 75/80 meter capability.Everythings looking good from 10 to 40,i am able to get it tuned at 3.995.says remove the tip rod from the resonator and grind off necessary amount from the end that inserts in the resonator.has anyone ever tried this.i have it 2 foot of ground,with 4 radials per band.thanks any info would be appreciated thanks.rick

Hi Everyone..Just got a Hustler 4 BTV.The paperwork says its 75/80 meter capability.Everythings looking good from 10 to 40,i am able to get it tuned at 3.995.says remove the tip rod from the resonator and grind off necessary amount from the end that inserts in the resonator.has anyone ever tried this.i have it 2 foot of ground,with 4 radials per band.thanks any info would be appreciated thanks.rick

If you have a analyzer to work with then i might take an eight inch off and check it..

Would not do more than that at a time. BTW, where will you operate ?? 75 meter phone
or where ??

I am not sure i would try for 3.5 until some results were in.

I would expect it to change some other bands at least a small amount also.

BTY.. No i have not worked with that antenna myself, but don`t ignore the directions.

Regards,
John_ KD5WJY

thanks John.Down to 3980 3970 state net and ragchew,but i agree its working great even 15 and 12 meter.I'm not going to chance it,especially cutting off,end up messing up everything.Thanks for Answering my Question..Rick kj4izj

i'm a little confused...... a 4 BTV doesn't cover 75/80. if it has the 3 radials and the resonator, then it not a 4 BTV.
even then it will only get you a small slice of that band , which is OK if you tune for a specific freq on 75/80.

it sounds like yours is ground mounted @ 2 feet, believe it or not, when they are ground mounted, it is best to keep them about 3 to 6 inches off the ground.

4 radials is "ok", but.... IMO you can't have too many radials for a ground mounted (marconi) antenna. i have 3 500 ft spools of wire buried on mine. heck it's really not much harder to bury more wire, once you get at it. a gas powered sidewalk edger makes a great slit in the dirt, then just lay the wire in the slit and you're done. don't worry about cutting them to a specific lenght, the ground will detune them anyway.

DX ENGINEERING site has some good info on the BTV's.

BTW, are you refering to the TN phone net on 3980? i sometimes check in there from either TN or FL.

yes..Tennessee phone,and 3970 occasionally country couisins.wow thats alot of wire.didnt know about any lenght,went by the manual on the lenghts,but i will get more in the ground today,didnt think about the edger..lol.yes im noticing the closer i get to the ground the better,its almost right on the ground.I ordered 80 meter resonator yesterday.Appreciate the information.73s Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.