• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I ordered a new antenna today.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I just placed an order with Radioworld in Toronto, Ontario for a new HF antenna to replace my beat up and busted old Cushcraft A3 tribander. I ordered the Hy-Gain Explorer-14 and the QK-710 add-on kit for 40m as well as an Ameritron RCS-10 eight position remote antenna switch. They had only one of each item left in stock. Phase one of the new antenna system has begun!

I plan to mount the new antenna on the old smaller tower this year and purchase a new 56 foot T500 series Trylon Titan tower next year. Later this summer/fall I will purchase a new rotator to handle all the HF antennas that are going on the new tower next year. It's all just too much $$$$ to do in one year. I had planned to buy a Hy-Gain DB-1217 as well but was told Radioworld is out of stock and the DB-1217 has been discontinued. MFJ still has some in stock but shipping to here is a bitch from Mississippi. I may try my hand at converting the old A3 to 12 and 17m. I think the tubing is long enough to extend out to cover 12m and I have some I can use if it is not. The traps will have to be rewound to resonate on 12m but that should just involve taking some turns from the 15m trap. The element tips beyond the "new" 12m traps will have to be extended to cover 17m but I have lots of tubing I can use for that. It could prove interesting to see if it will work. I'm hoping for three elements on 12 and 17m but may have to settle for two on each depending on the shape of what is left of the old A3. Two of three elements actually fell off the boom and plummeted the 40 feet to the ground. :cry: The rest of the A3 needs new element-boom hardware and a few places reinforced where the elements mount to the boom but I believe I can get it to work.That will probably be a project for next summer as I have a plate full this year with some other non-radio related projects going on. I have never felt so good about spending so much money! If this feeling holds next year I should be in heaven when I buy the tower. :D

Pictures?

Of what? :confused: Me emailing the order in to Radioworld? :D That's where I stand right now. They just confirmed the order was due to be shipped today. I'll get some pix when the work begins. I am just buying things as I have the money right now and will get a start on things when I can get the old tower cleared of the rest of the A3 and pull down the six element 6m beam as it will be too much for the tower,unless I strengthen it......hmmmmmmm I might do that with a set of self-guying cables. .......Anyway I digress here. The plan is to acquire things over time but put the explorer 14 into action ASAP and then next summer put up the big tower and move everything over to it for HF. I'll keep the smaller tower for VHF and 6m.

Earlier today the wife came home from the post office with a parcel notice. I had told her to not bother getting a parcel for me if it came because it would be quite heavy and cumbersome to get out of the post office and down the steps to the car but to make sure she told me about it ASAP. Well she did and I burned rubber all the way back into town to pick it up receiving a "Slow the %^#@ down!" look from an RCMP officer that I met while approaching an intersection along the way. :oops: I haven't had a new HF antenna to put together since, since,.......well......FOREVER! :drool:The old A3 was bought third hand and was partially put together when I got it and before that was a CB antenna about 30+ years ago or just a 2m beam. I ran into the post office and presented the girl behind the counter with my notice and waited impatiently for her to drag the heavy antenna and add-on kit out from the back. She came bounding out with a small box in her hands and that was it! "Whaaa......is THAT ALL!" I asked. It was.:confused: Sadly all that came today was the Ameritron RCS-10 coaxial switch. :sad: The Explorer-14 and QK-710 40m add on kit are still in transit somewhere between here and Toronto. :headbang I have five days off this week returning to work on friday. Any bets the antennas arrive on Thursday afternoon? :censored:

Well I just got back from the post office again. this time I got the rest of the stuff. The Explorer-14 came in two boxes and the QK-710 came in a separate box. I just have to go over the parts and make sure everything is all there. It figures that it is raining today with a chance of thunder showers even. :angry: I'm off tomorrow, my last day, and it is calling for more rain. The long range forecast however is calling for sunny skies and temps in the high 50's and 60's for Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues. It figures, those are the days I work this time around. :censored: Oh well maybe I can get something done next week. Maybe I'll pre-assemble some elements in the house for now. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.