• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 703/Yaesu 857/897 vs. Icom 751A

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
several years ago I owned a Yaesu FT100. It was small, had all the bands I wanted and the receiver was pretty decent. It did have a problem with SWR and Grounding which made tx a @#%$...so I sold it.

Later I picked up a really nice Icom 751a and it's been one of the best rigs I've ever owned. This summer I bought an Icom 703 Plus and noticed a couple things: 1. the NB sucks and 2. The quality of receive audio was lacking in comparison to the 751A.

Now I'm looking at either the Yaesu FT857 or 897 so I can have HF, VHF, and UHF and I'm wondering if I'll run into the same problems (receive lacking, poor noise blanker, etc.)

So I'm looking for comments from those of you who own these rigs.

Tnx

Woody

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>When I got my first HAM HF rig, It took less than a week to dump all of my CB stuff. Haven't owned a CB since. no comparison.<hr></blockquote>

I concur, once I got my first REAL radio a Yaesu FT100D that was it for me I cannot go back to the "exports" Most are to noisy RX and being limited to a few band only for the money isnt worth it to me. I love the new modern amateur rigs

Your Mileage may vary.

offroadlogo2.gif
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.