• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 746Pro problem, part 2

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
After getting the unit back and using it for about a week, I find that the internal tuner no longer works on 15 meters. I tried testing it into a dummy load, as well. Apparently this is a NEW problem that has surfaced as others on the 746pro yahoo group are experiencing this, as well. :headbang. They have a temporary fix posted over there. I don't recall it having this problem when I sent it off, so I'm hoping they fix it on their dime. I guess I'll find out.

I got the rig back from Icom and they fixed the 15m tuner problem under warranty. The description of work was, "Installed additional RF grounding and checked/adjusted driver and final amp idle current". It looks like they turned it around in about a week. I must say that Icom's customer service has been pretty quick. I've had this rig back and forth to them twice and at the same time haven't seen my LDG auto tuner that I sent in for repair at the same time the Icom went out the first time.

i think i posted to your 1st thread....my tuner was tuning on its own, whenever it felt like it. any band. during xmit. during rcv. got the radio in march. driver transistor been replaced 2x. local authorized repair shop heat sinked it & after 3rd visit said he ain't touching it no more based on icom's low pay for service. no thoughts from tech on why tuner would tuneup on its own, he DID get it to duplicate the feat 1 time. hasn't done it since heat sink was added, though he cannot think of any connection especially since it would tune while in rcv. haven't had much time to talk last 2 weekends, but did some heavy ssb contesting prior weekends & things were good (knock wood with heavy hammer).

Well I guess I can wipe that 746 off my choices of radios to purchase this spring LOL I glad you got it back mole and with a fast turn around time. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.