• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-718/Wide SSB Filter- 'FL-257' or Collins Filter?

RT307,

Sorry I haven't replied, I missed this thread...

To answer your question, YES.

The ESSB guys I use to chat with on 10 and 80 Meters in the Houston/Gulf Coast area all noticed the difference.

I have a second 718 in the mobile that is stock... only because I haven't found a good deal on a FL-257 like i did on my original mod...

The ESSB guys I use to chat with on 10 and 80 Meters in the Houston/Gulf Coast area all noticed the difference.

I have just obtained an IC-718 and replaced the standard IF filter with a spare (2.9kc) IF filter I had left over from a TS-440S or something. Anywayz, did you need to do any carrier point changes to your 3.3kc mod?

I also wanted to go onto the "Set Mode" section of the IC-718 service manual (page 5-10), but my rig will not go into that mode per the manual.

Anyone have any info fur me?

I have just obtained an IC-718 and replaced the standard IF filter with a spare (2.9kc) IF filter I had left over from a TS-440S or something. Anywayz, did you need to do any carrier point changes to your 3.3kc mod?

I also wanted to go onto the "Set Mode" section of the IC-718 service manual (page 5-10), but my rig will not go into that mode per the manual.

Anyone have any info fur me?

As A total blast from the past... I'll straighten something out...

I put the Optional filter in my 718, but to do it you have to remove the stock filter and hardwire over to the optional filter.

The 718 uses the same filters for TX and RX, but if you turn on the "Wide" filter, the RX goes through the optional filter, but the TX still goes through the stock filter.

However, in doing this, it will give you 3.3 kHz wide TX audio.

and there is no way to adjust the carrier set point that I have found, and I haven't looked at the Service Manual to know which Set Mode is being asked about...

I still have my 2 718's and use them daily... one at the QTH, one in the mobile...

Again, sorry to bring up and ancient thread...

Glad you did, Bow. :) I use my IC-718 with W2IHY 8 band eq and eq plus. I get very good reports with this setup, and am using the stock width filter. I do use a narrow filter from Inrad that works really well for tightening things up and decreasing noise in the receive.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.