• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm new at this

G J H

Sep 26, 2012
I started to get into cb in 1990 with my dad who was already there. I bought a uniden grant and a uniden madison which till now are still new in the box. The reason is he died right after I got these units so I stuck them on the shelf. Now that I've retired and moving to Maraposa Ca.,just north Yosemite national park, I thought I would get into cb now. Being new at this I don't want to make to many mistakes. A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 uniden bearcat 980 ssb. I was told these were good. I need to know weather I made a mistake buying them. I can still return them. Please let me know.As I go along I'll have plenty of questions,
Thanks G J H

Fire up the old radios and use them if they work, don't see why they wouldn't.

Return the 980's and buy coax, meter and antenna, if you don't already have.

The Grant and Madison are nice radios and to have them NIB is great.
The New Uniden radios are showing themselves to be fair stock radios so far, they have not been out on the market long.
There have been complaints about the beep associated with the functions on the radio. If you use the search function here on the forum and look for the Uniden 980 radio there are a few threads here about them and members that own them.
If you are moving close to the park, the terrain around were you live will have a large impact on how well these radios will work for you.
If you find yourself down in a small valley or up against a hill, you might be limited to what range you will be able to archive.
On the same note, if you have a spot up on a hill you might find that you will have great range if you can get the antenna up in the clear depending on were you want to talk.
It will play a large role in how well things will work on the CB Band.

Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

I started to get into cb in 1990 with my dad who was already there. I bought a uniden grant and a uniden madison which till now are still new in the box. The reason is he died right after I got these units so I stuck them on the shelf. Now that I've retired and moving to Maraposa Ca.,just north Yosemite national park, I thought I would get into cb now. Being new at this I don't want to make to many mistakes. A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 uniden bearcat 980 ssb. I was told these were good. I need to know weather I made a mistake buying them. I can still return them. Please let me know.As I go along I'll have plenty of questions,
Thanks G J H

*The Uniden Madisons are crappy radios. I collect crappy radios so I'll give you $200 plus shipping.

* Just kidding!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.