• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

increase ground on mag antenna

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
is there anyway to do this ? how bout carefuly cutting the plastic on the coax inside the car an wraping a wire round the shield an ground the wire somewhere inside..

Splash1,
The 'quick-n-dirty' answer is no. The 'quick-n-dirty' solution to that sort of 'problem' is to 'ground' the shield of the coax -at- the point where the magnet is sitting. (Drill hole, feed coax through, ground at that point.) Since that would mean that the antenna wouldn't need the magnet to stay on the vehicle, remove magnet.
Sound like a 'smart-ass' answer? Yes, it is, and sorry 'bout that. But that's because the 'problem' isn't the need for a ground, only 'how' that 'ground' is obtained. There are limits to the use of a mag-mount antenna. (Or a 'through-glass' type antenna too, for that matter.) That limit deals with the area covered by the magnet and the frequency of use.
- 'Doc

mags work by capacitive coupling to the bodywork so the larger the area of magnet and the thinner the rubber or plastic boot (dielectric) the better it works,

the first thing i do with my new trimags is throw the stock boots in the bin and fit very thin boots,

i use 3 or 4 x 7" magnets with very thin replacement boots not just because it holds my 10k in place better at speed but because it is measurably better on air than the same antenna on a single magnet in three separate test on three different vehicles and several monitoring stations,

my wilson 5000 works better on the 6" sirio mag than it does on the wilson 5" mag likewise the sirio 3 and 4000hp work better on the sirio 6" mag than they do on the stock sirio 5",

i cannot give you a technical explanation as to why other than increased capacitance so lower reactance to ground through increased surface area and thinner dielectric,
maybe somebody on here can explain it in a technical way,

if i could drill a hole i would imho thats the best way to go but for one reason or another some people cannot drill so we use mags,

placing a thin sheet of conductive material such as aluminum foil flat to the roof under or beside the mag and connecting the shield inside the mag to the sheet with a short strap will increase the coupling to the roof but it wont look pretty and may damage the paint long term,

i have experimented with nickel screening spray and foil like a k40 mag uses on my old mags and they both help coupling to some degree on my magnets ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.