• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interference in set up - Need HELP!!!

SharkXJ

Jan 12, 2006
Hello,
I am not an expert by any means so please excuse me if I come off sounding dumb... :D

About a year ago a buddy of mine installed a Midland 1001Z CB in his 92 Ford Ranger. It is installed uder the cigeret lighter tray behind the trasnmission shifter. The CB has never worked correctly. He has had the truck for over 8 years and the stereo was installed when he got it. The stereo system consists of an amplifier, 4 speakers, Deck (of course) and a wireless CD Changer. The Amp and CB Power are wired directly to the battery and the ground to the frame. We have tried moving the power supply to a fuse and moving the ground and it does nothing.

3 things happen whe he hits the talk button:
1) The tacometer drops about 100 RPM (WEIRD) and it does NOT effect the engine idle at all.
2) He can hear himself broadcasting through his stereo speakers.
3) On occasion (more then not) the car speakers squeel like crazy.
- He can hear transmissions no problem. We have checked his Signal on an SWR Meter and it is perfect.

My thought is that it has something to do with the wireless changer and possibly some low or un-insulated speaker wires.

What do you think? ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated as we have been trying to figure this out for a LONG time.

Thanks......

NorthStar said:
What kind of antenna system is he using?

Hi - He is using a 48" Radio Shack Adjustable Antenna (white with coils) and 18' of standard antenna cable. There is almost no extra cable and it runs along the frame rail to the rear.

It sounds to me like the speakers are picking up the CB through the speaker wires.

There are a couple things you can do which might help. One would be to get a square toroid from Radio Shack for each speaker. You will have to wind the speaker wire around the torroid as many times as you can, right next to the speaker. You may have to cut and extend the speaker wire to do this. This will probably solve the issue. I've attached a pic as an example

pRS1C-2266706w345.jpg

Also using a different antenna location will probably help a lot. An antenna placed on the roof will not only work better, it creates some shielding from electronics inside.

Lastly, if none of those work, try placing a .01uf capacitor across the speaker terminals. You can find those at radio shack, also.

Moleculo said:
It sounds to me like the speakers are picking up the CB through the speaker wires.

There are a couple things you can do which might help. One would be to get a square toroid from Radio Shack for each speaker. You will have to wind the speaker wire around the torroid as many times as you can, right next to the speaker. You may have to cut and extend the speaker wire to do this. This will probably solve the issue. I've attached a pic as an example

pRS1C-2266706w345.jpg

Also using a different antenna location will probably help a lot. An antenna placed on the roof will not only work better, it creates some shielding from electronics inside.

Lastly, if none of those work, try placing a .01uf capacitor across the speaker terminals. You can find those at radio shack, also.

THANKS!!!! I will forward the information and we'll try this out.

Some good news though. He got a completely new stereo system installed last night and the squeeling has completely gone away. BUT, you can still BARELY hear his voice through the speakers. I think the upgrade in speaker wire (COST $$$$) definately helped. Now it's just a matter of getting rid of the feed back completely.

Yes, better wire definately can make a difference, especially if it's shielded! If the wire is a lot thicker though, you may have difficulty winding it around the toroid in that pic. They make different size toroids, but radio shack doesn't sell them. You'll probably have to find a local electronics shop if that happens. Make sure you get a ferrite toroid, not powdered iron.

do they have the power wires,speaker wires, and antenna coax all running the same way if so that could be the problem.

bad things can happen in car stereos even if you dont have a cb. if you run all the wires along the same path.

so redirecting how everything is run is probly gona help alot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.