• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this an actual FCC rule for hams?

jeff48356

Jun 23, 2013
Is it true that ham operators are not allowed to use the words "husband" and "wife" on the air, and that they must use "OM" and "XYL" instead?

As an example, one day I was driving to visit some extended family (my cousin, his wife, and kids). I was talking to another ham on a local repeater and I said, "I'm travelling to visit my cousin, his XYL, and kids. Then later I'm going to see my other cousin, her OM, and kids."

Is it true that ham operators are not allowed to use the words "husband" and "wife" on the air, and that they must use "OM" and "XYL" instead?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That is the biggest line of Bullshit I have ever heard, whoever is giving you this info.....run away.
Search for
Part 97 rules

You are not supposed to use "obscenities" on the air.....but that rule rarely gets enforced nowadays.
Oh and you can not play music.,,,,unless you are waking up the Astronauts Lol.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.