• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got like new TS-820S

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Well I went to the Down East ham flea market In Halifax yesterday with a few dollars in my pocket and came home with a few less dollars.It was a good turn out with several Kenwoods and Yeasus up for grabs.There were three sellers offering up a Kenwood TS-820 but I spied a very nice looking TS-820S with the matching VFO-820 external VFO and MC-50 microphone for a decent price.The guy admitted up front that the remote VFO did not work as he had plugged it into the radio with the power on and popped something in it.It has a couple FET's and a couple bipolar transistors so my guess is he blew a FET. No big deal to repair.I offered him $50 less than he was asking and walked away with a mint HF rig that I had wanted for nearly 25 years.I have had an Icom IC-735 and now have a Yaesu FT-857 which is nice but I have always wanted a solid state rig with tube driver and finals like the TS-820-850 series.It is a radio that you have to actually operate as opposed to tune and talk.The front panel is prestine with no scratches or dings,the lettering is bright and clear and there are no rub marks on the panel from heavy use.The inside only had a tiny amount of dust and looked as if it had never been opened for cleaning so I think this rig was used VERY little and kept under cover.You can tell when a rig has been dusted out inside because there is always more dust in the corners etc. than elsewhere.It still has the original 12BY7 driver and 2001A finals (equivalent to 6146B's) and they will put out over 125 watts on the top end of 10m and over 150 watts on 80m and 160m. This rig is like new and works lioke a charm.The FT-857 will now stay in the vehicle except for rare occasions,like 6m openings, and I now have a "real" ham rig to play with.I love the looks of the TS-820S.This rig also has the DG-1 digital display option and the narrow CW filter installed.I am in heaven.Now I neede to rearrange the operating desk as this beast takes up a bit more room than the FT-857 did.

QRN i have a kenwood TS-520 (non s) 10 through 80 meters. The first hybrid rig from kenwood. Excellent audio and recieve is great.Built to last,the tube finals (6146's) are very forgiving.The NB works awsome. And hey you gotta love that big analog meter.

And just to let you know if you keep looking around you can add a Kenwood TV-506 6 meter transverter designed for all 520,820 (maybe more) rigs. They also have a TV-502 transverter for 2 meters,i believe output power is 10 watts on both transverters. I have the matching SP-520 speaker with a D-104 silver eagle,next will be the TV-506.
I had Justin from CE tune and align and have had nothing but great audio reports.Anyway enjoy your new rig and good luck.

73 Stu

The more I use this radio the more I like it.The RX is great and sounds wonderfull.The filter skirts are fantastic,better than most newer DC-daylight rigs including my FT-857.I tuned it up on 20m last night and had a contact with a G-land station who gave me great audio reports.The rig was putting out just over 100 watts into what I thought was the three element tribander.Ooooopps! I had the antenna switch in the coax fed 80 dipole position.The SWR was almost 5:1 :shock: Ya gotta love those tube finals. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned