• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood 430S thoughts

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
I like it much better than my Icom 706MKIIG for a base.

The size helps as well as the controls not being menu driven.

I appreciate the controls alot being on the face of it.

The RX seems to be less effected by powerline interference less than my Icom. The Icom had alot of the insulator noise.

The Icom is better as a mobile than a base, IMO.

I favor an analog meter despite the Icom having the squelch shown on the bar meter.

The 1kc mod works, despite reports of the contrary.

The only negitives I find is no preamp and few presets.

All in all, a great value at 300$.

74IN,
Oh, you've touched on a couple of things that I just can't resist! To start, I have no problem agreeing with your comments, they are as factual as I could ever tell from having used both the '706 and the '430, and not having the equipment to do any 'microscopic' comparisons of characteristics. The biggest differences in radios (those two and other old/new radios) tends to be in convenience and 'ways' of doing things. Nothing wrong with miniaturization as such, but there comes a point where that miniaturization is more trouble than it's worth. Especially as you get 'older' (nasty word) and your eye sight isn't what it used to be, or the size of your fingers apparently. Another one of those 'nasty' words is 'menu'. Nothing wrong with using them when there's a good reason, but using them just 'because' isn't a very good reason in my opinion. Having a few more knobs on the front of a radio isn't much of a problem except before you know what they do, sort of. If, after finding out what those knobs do, and if they don't require 'twiddling', just leave the dang things alone, right?
'Style' is something that's variable. If a 'slick' face, no knobs, bezel around a display, just buttons, etc, is something you don't like, fine! For some reason, that just doesn't appeal to me. Being able to control everything from a computer is nice. It also assumes that you have that required computer and want to use it for that controlling, not something else you happen to be doing at the same time. Unfortunately, there's not enough standardization to make computer controlling radios 'easy', sort of. (My laptop doesn't have an RS-232 port, just USB ports.) There are certainly 'things' that do work, but all of them don't, USB port converters for instance.
You're getting the general idea, so enough of all that.

Leaving 'brand' loyalty out of it, the TS-430 just ain't the 'best' radio around anymore. The 'art' has progressed a ways since it was designed. That certainly does not mean it isn't a good radio! Cuz' it is. It doesn't suit everyone's needs, but that's okay too. And lastly, the average price is very nice! I've found that the 'status' of owning a new, wiz-bang radio just ain't very important at all. (Lie about it! Who'll know? Not that I'd ever do such a thing.)
- 'Doc

(was this post a waste of time? Probably, and in that case, don't read any further.)

And it's still a fact. If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat!

doc,
i would know if you said you were on a 430 or some other radio and you were actually using a ts2000, ts570 or a icom7000
pumppumppump:D

doc,
i would know if you said you were on a 430 or some other radio and you were actually using a ts2000, ts570 or a icom7000
pumppumppump:D

Lemme in on the joke.:confused:

I've found filters are not cheap.:(

Leaving 'brand' loyalty out of it, the TS-430 just ain't the 'best' radio around anymore.

Oh, I don't doubt that. But considering the cost of "base" HF rigs, I do enjoy it's simplicity and size.

I've found that the 'status' of owning a new, wiz-bang radio just ain't very important at all.

A lesson I've learned by buying an older radio that works well for my "needs".

Thanks for the input.

74IN,
The 'joke'. Part of it is that with the older radios, what you get is what you got, sort of. Not endless audio equalizer adjustments, etc, cuz there just ain't none. That's good in one way cuz I hate hearing that stuff. Going through it once is fine, not once per transmission sort of thingy, you know? Another part of that 'joke' is that there's really no certain way of telling what you are using. Some radios sound 'better' than others, but there are 'fixes' for anything if you wanna go to the trouble. The real 'joke' (in my opinion) is that the one doing the talking very, very seldomly can tell what they -ought- to sound like anyway. Ever listened to a recording of yourself and though, "Hey, that cain't be ME!"? :)
The criteria for 'better' changes with everyone, at no specific time.
Bigger/smaller ain't necessarily better.
More expensive ain't necessarily better.
Cheaper is almost always better (sort of).
and of course...
If it ain't Kenwood, it's squat! Always true.
- 'Doc

74IN,
The 'joke'. Part of it is that with the older radios, what you get is what you got, sort of. Not endless audio equalizer adjustments, etc, cuz there just ain't none. That's good in one way cuz I hate hearing that stuff. Going through it once is fine, not once per transmission sort of thingy, you know? Another part of that 'joke' is that there's really no certain way of telling what you are using. Some radios sound 'better' than others, but there are 'fixes' for anything if you wanna go to the trouble. The real 'joke' (in my opinion) is that the one doing the talking very, very seldomly can tell what they -ought- to sound like anyway. Ever listened to a recording of yourself and though, "Hey, that cain't be ME!"? :)
The criteria for 'better' changes with everyone, at no specific time.
Bigger/smaller ain't necessarily better.
More expensive ain't necessarily better.
Cheaper is almost always better (sort of).
and of course...
If it ain't Kenwood, it's squat! Always true.
- 'Doc

I tend to agree with you Doc,especailly about the last line. :D I worked 4X4FR in Isreal and before I even told him what I had for a rig,Rafi asked me if I was using a classic Kenwood. I was shocked! I said yes I was using a Kenwood TS-820S with MC-50 microphone. He just laughed and said it sounded too wonderfull to be anything but that with the possible exception of the Kenwood TS-830 which he had. Older,cheaper, and a Kenwood to boot! (y)

That 430 is a great rig and dependable aswell easy to run aswell. I do say I didnt like the few memories it has for channels but hell look at the age of it. All in all ther nice radios Ive had 2 of them and liked them and there simplicity of use. Ill tell you what those TS-440S are smokin radios aswell and a personal favorite of mine.

Good Mics for TS430

I always liked for my KWD rigs
The SHURE 444M or 444D
A non-amped D104 with Heil HC-5 mic element
And my new favorite the HEIL GM-5...I have this on my new FT-950 Yaesu...GREAT SOUND
I also used a few studio mics on my KWD's
Audio Technica- High Energy 1000HE (great sound/good drive)...was great on my TS450sat...also liked the AKG TPS-D-3800
I never liked the sound of the KWD. MC-50 or MC-60(old version) but do have a MC-85(but need to watch the level on this one)
Mics are like opinions you can never have to many!!!LOL(y)
All the Best
BJ

I have to agree that Heil has a very nice mic element in the HC-5, used one for almost ever. The housing for that element isn't all that important. If you happen to have a particular mic (housing) that you like, and if the thing is large enough to hold that HC-5, use it. Helps to sort of pad the element, unless you like the noise that results if you don't.
Head-sets, boom mics, and desk mics aren't all that hard to 'rig'. Hand-mics can get sort of 'peculiar', not exactly hard to do, or impossible, just different considerations in the 'doing', as in picking up noise, etc. After modifying one or two, I got tired of it and just use the typical Mc-43 that comes with Kenwood radios.
- 'Doc

(Just got a new radio. Wanted a new mic (Hc-5). Looked them up in a catalogue, the 'new' prices scared me! Last one I bought was only $29 including shipping. Then happened to think that the last time I bought one was quite a while ago. @#$! So, just used the old one. Being cheap ain't easy, you know.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.