• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-870

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I was told by Kenwood that these are there opinion for a used Kenwood HF rig anyone know what the going rate is on one of these I am just curious. Also has any of you owned or had the chance to tinker with one??? They told me they dont service the 940 anymore so they advised staying away from those forsure thats when they recommended the 870.

FWIW (not much)

I looked at an '870 before I bought the '850. Never had my hands on one, but know several people who have had them. They say it's a very nice radio, better than the '850 but what do they know. The '870 I looked at ws more expensive than the '850. Not a huge amount, but there was a difference. The deciding factor for me was the source/seller. The '850 was within driving range, and knowing who and where the seller lived left me some options. The '870 was an 'eBay' thingy which I ALWAYS find suspect. It/he (the seller) was probably as honest as the day is long, but I have this 'thing' about 'eBay'. Didn't get it.
Sort of wish I had, but not enough to do it over again.
I think the advice from Kenwood is fairly good. You have to 'factor' in that they want to sell a new radio, but the avaiablility of stuff for the '870 is still sort of 'normal'. I didn't worry much about the '850 cuz I've got an 'organ donor' for it :).
Theo only 'problem' with the '870 that I'm aware of is that setting up the transmit audio can be a real time 'eater'... and aggravating. It isn't ~that~ difficult, but it does take time and effort (bunch of adjustments possible). It does take 'help', you can't do it alone. Someone has to listen to the thing while you do the adjusting. Finding someone who knows what you sound like, and doesn't want to do any "improvements" on that, isn't the most likely thing in the world. Oh well.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.